Wednesday, December 25, 2013
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Monday, December 23, 2013
Sunday, December 22, 2013
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Vicki W. for spurring such a cleanup and hopefully she will make this an annual event.
P.S. I have my own blog at tripodtommy.tumblr.com where I give much needed fashion advice to shelter cats.
Friday, December 20, 2013
Vicki W. gave me special permission to show you my client's house as part of her REAL studio tour.
Monday, December 16, 2013
Saturday, December 14, 2013
Friday, December 13, 2013
Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Monday, December 9, 2013
Monday is a popular day for displaying work that is progressing on the design wall. However, today its the design wall that I'm showing...newly constructed today. And its an improvised design wall because my original plan failed early, but I didn't want that to stop me!
My previous design wall was a blanket pinned to the back of two side-by-side shelving units that are only six feet high. I thought I was limited by a sloping roof and dormer. But as you can see, using a lightweight frame, the design wall extends into the dormer while using the shelving units as support. I used PVC piping to construct a square with a middle cross support (also PVC pipe). The piping was initially too long so I cut some down to a length that I could handle, resulting in a 90 inch square (roughly).
I was going to put a fitted flannel sheet on the PVC square but the sheet was too small. So I slit the flat sheet edging and fed it through like a curtain. It was the perfect size once I shoved the excess around the bottom and under the shelving units.
The PVC piping is attached to the shelving with bungee cords and the sheet is attached with safety pins. Because I am my father's daughter, no nails pierced drywall at any time during the process.
Sunday, December 8, 2013
Saturday, December 7, 2013
Friday, December 6, 2013
Vicki W.'s REAL Studio Tour, I would like to present my special tool for changing threads. My "Tommy" automatically unthreads the sewing machine and moisturizes the thread at the same time! Although I got my version at a Humane Society about 17 years ago, I think they are still widely available and come in a variety of sizes and colors.
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Wednesday, December 4, 2013
I don't really remember when or where this fabric came from. However, I did try to use it for the fractured quilt-a-long but that first quilt failed fast. More recently, I have been reading through The Quilting Edge blog (wonderful!) and thought I would use this fabric as part of an improv quilt. Well, to be honest, I figured I could noodle around with this fabric and be happy to cut into it whether it worked out or not. Not quite the right mindset, but it's a start.
So I started by making a massive hunk of striped fabric, and then cut it into strips to use in a log cabin. The nice thing about a log cabin for an improv is that it gives you an obvious next place to go (the next log around the center), and you only have to make a decision about that next step. Improv for kittens, so to speak.
Monday, December 2, 2013
Sunday, December 1, 2013
Kaleidoscope pattern of maple leaves from this fall. This is one of the most colorful maples in my yard, but this year it turned mostly speckled brown, then threw in some brighter colors at the very end. Below is the photo that I used to make the kaleidoscope pattern. I took the photo by leaning out of a second story window.
Saturday, November 30, 2013
Friday, November 29, 2013
Here is the finished fractured quilt. I didn't get the binding on until this afternoon, hence the fractured shadows across the photograph. Below is a closeup of the machine quilting. I nixed the idea of a loopy line because it didn't seem to match the quilt, so I used an erratic straight line zig and zag instead. Thank you Vicki W. for hosting this fractured quilt-a-long, it was terrific fun!