I've made about 100 pairs of kitten ears (two ears per block) using fabric that was in the original kitten quilt. This should give me a good start for planning the blending around the border of the quilt. I expect that I will need to make more blocks, but fabric choice will depend on the blending between the hues. I'm also not sure what will happen in the corners yet.
Here are my favorite kitten ear blocks of the bunch. Unfortunately, when I took Roy to the shelter yesterday, they did notice that his ears were missing and said that I would have to return his ears with Roy when I bring him back for surgery next Wednesday. And no, the shelter vets are going to be working on the other end, so its up to me to figure out how to reattach the ears. A blind hand applique stitch brings my hand too close to Roy the biter's mouth, so maybe a sewing machine decorative stitch with mono-filament thread would work better.