Sunday, February 28, 2016

Owl and PussyCat Sailboat Block

There may be a blog or two that exhibit addictive behavior concerning monkeys, piglets and now, sailboats. How do you spell mangofeet? I thought that this might be a good time to mention that these fascinations apparently go in cycles, because here is a replica of a block that Jane Stickle made but did not include in her quilt. Following the Dear Jane convention, this block is 5 inches square unfinished.

The owl comes from some fabric I designed for a Spoonflower challenge a few years ago. They said they wanted to get away from the ubiquitous owl and present a challenge that limited the designer to three colors and geometric shapes. I obliged.

6 comments:

gayle said...

I was just thinking about owls and pussycats in boats. I figured I'd have to watch for tiny owls and kitties to applique to my blocks when the RSC color switches to green.
I love your little curvy owls - well done meeting the challenge!

Cathy said...

Sheesh, I am having flashbacks to the book Life of Pi (him and tiger and boat). But I’m wondering if Jane Stickle and Gayle are related, maybe back a few generations? And you are probably her long lost third cousin twice removed.

Magpie Sue said...

Oh, that's perfect! I'm glad I live in the 20th and 21st centuries though, so I don't have to make my blocks insanely small. (or by hand)

Sue SA said...

Love it and I am sure Jane would have loved a cot quilt in this design!

Mystic Quilter said...

Smashing - The Owl and the Pussy cat went to sea in a beautiful sea blue boat!! Couldn't really say pea green boat here!

Cathy said...

So, did you win the challenge? Because that fabric is a winner in my book! Your boat might sink if it goes to sea. The wood is pencil thin.