Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Bunnies and monkeys

Today I worked on assembling the bounding bunny quilt blocks from last year's Rainbow Scrappy Challenge. I put in double wide sashing to give the bunnies some room to hop, but it also makes it a much bigger quilt.
Molly agreed that the quilt was too big and began to remove some of the bunny panels. If you would like to see other scrap projects without the aggressive criticism, I suggest visiting Scraptastic Tuesday's link party for April.

I also worked a bit on the Monkey design. First, Monkey 0.0 is disappointed that no one sent her a get well card because I had sewn her stomach upside down. The Monkey in the center is Monkey 0.0 after her stomach re-topsy turvey surgery. She looks better already.

The monkey on the right shows some of the cosmetic options we discussed such as lowering her eyelids to reduce the crazed look as shown by the monkey on the right. By continuing to use polka dot fabric for the eyes, future monkeys can look sideways, up, down and center.

Next I adjusted the nose to give the monkey larger cheeks while preserving a little bit of smile to avoid the grumpy monkey look.

I think I'll go back to the legs of Monkey 1.0 and make some adjustments to the tail which looks more like an ornament hook than a tail.

11 comments:

PaulaB quilts said...

So much going on in your animal world that it's hard to keep up. I personally like the bunnies with more room to hop, but your supervisor has the last word, of course. And the monkeys are evolving at a frenetic pace. The latest is by far the nicest I think. The narrower nose softens his expression and the eyes are definitely improved. And, as you say, there could be sidelong glances which would pose some interesting questions. The tail sure does look like an ornament hook, so I hope you can find an answer for that. As for the legs, maybe back to narrow but with a flip triangle on each of the four corners to make rounded knees. Anyway, your experiment is coming along well.

Cathy said...

Indeed, the monkeys are coming along nicely! Just remember that they may need those legs to get away from Molly. Is she instituting a gymnastics program at Kitten U??

Mystic Quilter said...

I hadn't noticed the poor creature had an upside down stomach, love the eye and nose job!!

Dorothy said...

HST on the tail would get away from the ornament hook look of it. I think 2 HSTs would make it look "rounded/curved" He/She is very cute

Jacqueline said...

Whew I can hear the wheels churning in your head as you create. Good for you. I sure enjoy seeing the changes and thought process you go through.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Ah......evolution. Will we see a Cro Magnum or missing link block?

Sue SA said...

Hear no, speak no, see no monkey fun! Loving the new eyes, makes them look much kinder and the new nose is good too. But no help about leg design sorry, I do really admire your ability to tweek the pattern.

Cathy said...

If changing my own body was only so easy...
But I'm not one to hear, speak or see no evil either.

I find your process of creature making very interesting. I'm not creative enough to make any creatures rise up out of little pieces of fabric. But I can take guidance from the master.

gayle said...

I love watching you at work. Or play. Not really sure which it is...

Magpie Sue said...

Polka dots for the eyes is an improvement, I think. I like that the monkeys are now smiling too. :- )

Nicky said...

Love the bunnies and those monkeys are making me thing of the see no evil, hear no evil...monkeys! Though I think these might be up to some monkey business! Thank you for linking up to #scraptastictuesday