Thursday, May 26, 2016

Alternative Jane Blocks

Not only have I neglected the Dear Jane blocks, but I have been remiss in completing the Alternate Jane blocks. As you may know, these are the blocks that Jane Stickle made but did not include in her now famous quilt. This is Block T22 or Typewriter Eraser. At this point in time, the typewriter eraser is considered an archaic artifact, but for Jane, it demonstrates that she was well ahead of her time.

Along with others in her time, Jane was probably very fond of The Ballad of The Monkey and Pig At Sea. This is Alternate Block U19 or Monkey and Pig At Sea. Contemporary quilt makers construct variations of this block, but few are able to acquire these rare reproduction fabrics. For further scholarship in this area, please reference Gayle at mangofeet.

Here are nine of the alternate Jane blocks. And yes, controversy abounds about these blocks and potential historical inaccuracies, such as pandas not being brought to Europe (as a skin) until after Jane's lifetime. Also, some question whether Jane would make circus blocks given her well publicized clown phobia.

But let me assure you that all of these blocks were vetted by a knowledgeable researcher.

Plus, the researcher was able to refute any and all issues raised by tiresome skeptics.


7 comments:

gayle said...

I'll be making a 'Ballad of Monkey and Pig at Sea' block myself, just as soon as the mailman turns up with my pig. (Hurry, mailman!)
And I'm utterly convinced of the accuracy of your assistant's research. Utterly.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I haven't seen one of those erasers in years!!

Frances Meredith said...

Surely, the one and only quilt IN THE WORLD to feature a typewriter eraser ....

Barbara said...

Wow, that typewriter eraser was a blast from the past. There are probably some youngsters out there who wouldn't even be able to identify one. What a hoot! And, yes, I did own one back during the 14th century. Your kitty is adorable. Sigh.

Cathy said...

I had totally forgotten about typewriter erasers. In fact, I thought it was a rotary cutter at first. And I agree that Molly's research is irrefutable, but Buddy looks like he's been dipping in the catnip.

Vireya said...

I'm sure there is an alternate universe where these are the blocks that Jane Stickle really used in her quilt.

Magpie Sue said...

LOL! Thanks for the grins today. :-)