Sunday, August 28, 2016

Dear Jane C7

This is Dear Jane block C7 or Megan's Mountain Laurel. For those of you on team "I'll never make a Dear Jane quilt," this is probably the block you should point to as justification. It starts out simply enough with a big chunk of real estate in the middle, but even I resorted to paper piecing for the pieced diamond border. So you know I wasn't happy. And then when you've truly had enough of this block, you have four diamonds to applique.

On a positive note, I do kind of see why it was called Mountain Laurel. This blooms like crazy throughout the woods around my house in May.


In other news, Buddy may be trying to become a cat. The other day he puffed up and danced sideways. Molly and I couldn't stop laughing because there is nothing funnier than a dog doing terrible cat impressions. But today he jumped up on the cutting table to show he was serious. He had never jumped up there before and I think he even surprised himself.  He usually hangs out below while Molly knocks things down on his head. And finally to really prove his point, he came up to me for a cuddle then changed his mind and sauntered away. Another first.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

I don't know when I chuckled harder: when I read your comment about team "I'll never make a Dear Jane quilt" right after that exact thought flashed through my mind upon seeing your block, OR the thought of Buddy puffing up and jumping sideways. I love when cats do that! Does Team Storm have some Seal Point Siamese in their lineage?

Mystic Quilter said...

I've never seen a photo of a Mpuntain Laurel before, but wish I had one in my garden, it's beautiful and a perfect rendition in fabric with the Dear Jane block. Oh I love it when cats do the sideways jump, Leila is very good at that!

Frances Meredith said...

The sauntering off shows he has almost nailed it!

gayle said...

I'd suggest that it's all part of a devious plan, but this is Buddy we're talking about after all. Devious is not in his skill set. Though perhaps it's Molly's plan...

Sue SA said...

Such a beautiful block but absolutely why I am going to admire other peoples Dear Jane quilts and never start one myself.