Saturday, February 3, 2018

Purple postage

Here is my contribution to the Rainbow Scrappy Challenge's first week of purple. I guess I will call it a postage frame block. It is quite large finishing at 20 inches square. Currently, the plan is to make one block a month, finishing the quilt top with 12 blocks.

Here are the two frame blocks so far.

Along the way, my cone of thread ran out. I use the same gray thread as the top thread and bobbin for all of my piecing. I began this cone in January 2017. And it had 5000 meters of thread. Molly consumed at least one meter over the year.

The big challenge today was that Buddy wanted to be held. All day. And it is very hard to do anything while one is holding a pony. Ironically, back when Buddy could pass for a kitten, he was very wary of me. His "sisters" would climb all over me, but Buddy kept his distance.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

No way that pony was ever tht small. I like your blocks. You’re off to a good start on those. In every comment I write, I’m committing to using more of my scraps when I get home. That way everyone will know what a liar I am.

Katie said...

Tiny Molly was so adorable! She's still pretty cute now, of course, but kittens are always adorbs, right? I've heard that boy cats tend to mellow with age and get snugglier as they age. Maybe that's true of ponies too? As for the spool of thread, that's quite an accomplishment!

Julie in GA said...

I love your postage stamp blocks--what a great way to use lots of little squares! I might have to try something like that.

gayle said...

You have a wonderful stamp collection!
I'd forgotten how shy Buddy was back in the days before he became a pony. Kittening is harder for some than for others...

Julierose said...

I just love those postage blocks--so cool hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

I really like your Postage Frame blocks!! (Too bad mine never come out QUITE square enough to assemble into a quilt.) Looking forward to more PURPLE goodness as the month progresses!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I so love that idea!!!

Cathy Tomm said...

WOW, love the postage stamp quilt blocks. so many little squares.

Cathy said...

And I thought it was physically impossible to align more than four one-inch squares together. Who knew? No wonder Buddy nearly flunked out of Kitten U. He was a pony masquerading as a kitten, rather like the ugly duckling.

MissPat said...

I like this block design. I've been doing 16 patches for RSC without a final plan in mind. I might just steal your idea.
Hope Buddy just wanted to cuddle and isn't coming down with something.
Pat

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Sally,
Oh my, look at that little baby Buddy! I just love these pictures - and that one where he was at the top of your design wall. Oh my. Your postage stamp block are fabulous!! And I don't even like purple and it drew me right in to requiring a comment. I use Gutermann, too, but have not tried their cones. I have an Aurifil cone that I am using - I wish I had noted the date at the top of it just to see how long it lasts. That is a great, fun idea. ~smile~ Roseanne