Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Winding Down on Spools

One of the treats of going to our local guild meeting is the free pile where we can drop off scraps and/or pick up scraps. And this month the pile was huge. I do have a rule that I have to take in more than I take back home.

These are the spools that I made from the fabric that I got from the free pile. Obviously I couldn't pass up the spool fabric given I'm making spools. However, I do think I have that fabric somewhere but in a different colorway.

I also borrowed from a huge bin of 1.5 inch strips I had accrued. Originally they were collected to make scrappy log cabins. But lately I have been raiding this bin for the postage stamp and coin blocks for the rainbow scrappy challenge. I'm also preparing to make another spiderweb quilt. And now the bin is contributing spools.

And while I am making the last bunches of spools that I need for the quilt, Buddy is testing out a variety of layouts. This is his favorite so far. Molly thinks the layout is too modern and does not use the negative space effectively.

4 comments:

Dorothy said...

I agree with Molly on the layout, but I am so in love with Buddy's blue eyes, that he could sway me in his direction :-)

Cathy said...

And I expected to see Buddy laying out on the pieces, but obviously misunderstood his meaning. I’ve got a spiderweb quilt underway, too, with red kites/centers. I was kinda disappointed that we didn’t have a multi-colored scrap month for the RSC, so it got shelved until winter.

QuiltGranma said...

Love this, will have to make one of these quilts!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Your 1.5" strip basket is quite a player, willing to help out whatever quilt that asks it. I really like the idea of sharing fabric with other guild members - more variety, and you can refresh your stash for free.