Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Colors, Spools and Stones

First, let's talk colors for Bonnie Hunter's 2018 Quiltville Mystery.  And yes, maybe you should make sure to read her post on colors...link here...while I wait... then interrupt with caveats...I did not get color chips and all that so my colors are only an approximation etc. etc. etc.

The first row of spools shows my approximation of Bonnie's color selection for this year, and the row below it shows mine. To make sure my color selection should work, I base my selection on the color wheel. This year, Bonnie has a rectangular triad of complementary colors. On the clock, you could think of these as 1:00, 3:00, 7:00 and 9:00 where 1:00 is blue on the color wheel.

My selection keeps the colors equidistant but picks 2:00 (teal), 4:00 (yellow/green), 7:00 (red orange) and 10:00 (fuschia).

Molly is stunned that I can make something so simple, complicated. She also would like me to get rid of all my cotton because she prefers wool.

I have also been making micro spools...these are two inches unfinished. The large spool is 3.5 inches unfinished. And yes, the spools appear to have been infiltrated by bow-ties.

And yes, here is another Stonefields by Susan Smith block. This is the last block I needed to make for Month 3.

Here is the complete collection of Month 3 blocks. However, given the move from Virginia to Oregon last year, Month 3 has taken well over a year. These blocks are about six inches square, but I cut the background much larger to allow for applique shrinkage and miscellaneous folly.



5 comments:

julieQ said...

OH, I love your colors...will be watching for that first clue!

Katie said...

I like your color selections...better than Bonnie's if we're telling the truth... Your substitution choices make so much sense when you explain them. But you see, I am a science geek, so no one ever explained the color wheel to me (Kreb's cycle? Got that one down. But not helpful in artistic endeavors!). But when you explain it, and I look at said color wheel, it seems foolish that it's not obvious to a science geek like me that these are all so organized. I must do better in the future. I wonder if, when my cats "help" with quilting, they're trying to lead me down the artistic path? I suppose I'll have to pay them more attention in that respect, though I think my Emma will just lead me to her food dish...

Vireya said...

Your colours look good to me! Just moving round the colour wheel enough to be interesting.

Cathy said...

When I taught interior design (and the color wheel), that “rectangular triad” (LOL) was called a double complement. Red/green and blue/orange. There’s your rectangle. Bonnie showed a range of colors with her fabric samples, and I think that putting emphasis on the lighter values (your spool color choices) is really pleasing and more contemporary. I will probably try to do some experimentation, too,

gayle said...

I'm admiring your colors - as long as orange stays in the mix it's all good!
And *ahem* now you'll have to pardon me for a moment while I go squee over those bitty bowties. (I'd finally gotten to the point where I could look at the teensy spools without melting. *sigh*)