Thursday, November 1, 2018

Color Selection Tool

I live in a neighborhood that doesn't have a lot of halloween activity so last night I was able to clear off the sewing table in anticipation of layering a quilt. I'm thinking Demented.

I should have also mentioned this book in yesterday's discussion of Bonnie Hunter's mystery challenge colors.  It makes it very easy to pick alternate colors. And while I typically don't formally invoke a color wheel when making a quilt, a mystery presents unique circumstances. I have no idea what colors are going to be next to each other. Although I might want different colors, to make the design effective, I will need contrast and blending as Bonnie has planned it. So how to read her mind...

Deb Menz provides color combination cutouts and a color wheel. Once I locate Bonnie's colors on the color wheel, I know what harmonious color arrangement Bonnie has chosen. This one is called a rectangular tetrad, but there are also triads and even a square tetrad.

Here are Bonnie's colors using the cutout tool and the colorwheel.

And here is my color choice. How easy was that?

And I'm not ruling this out...


5 comments:

Vireya said...

I love your colour scheme from yesterday, but the bottom one looks like a fun one too.

Cathy said...

That looks like an awesome book; thanks for sharing. Rectangular tetrad ...that makes things more interesting, with some great color variations there. Time to start stash diving and see where the colors lead!

Louise said...

I like both of your choices better than the original! I must admit that I've been disappointed with both of my mystery quilts. I'm batting 0 out of 2 and thinking maybe I should just accept that I'm not a mystery kinda gal :)

gayle said...

Ooooo! I love the sciency approach - thanks so much for the visual demo. I'm going to stick with the control group colors, but I'm going to be avidly watching your experiment!

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your first colour choice of the two!