Sunday, January 29, 2017

Flamingo and cow

I decided it was time to get back to the Dear Jane quilt...the alternative universe version...that is, the extra blocks that Jane Stickle made but did not include in her famous quilt. Of course, her love of flamingos was legendary so we shouldn't be surprised by block R67 or Winding Flamingo.

And as at least one of you know, the cow pattern was recalled as a tipping hazard. The new version replaces the one with the single front leg that resembled a crutch. In the new version, the cow has two clearly visible front legs. It also has two rear legs, but one rear leg is directly behind the other and is not visible unless you go around the cow. For the patchwork, this simply requires sewing that section with two layers of fabric on top of each other.

8 comments:

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Oh, my, you are sew funny..referring to your last two sentences above! This new version is so cute and once I compared it to your last post agree that this one is definitely more stable. Will you be making a tutorial?

Frances Meredith said...

I had overlooked Jane's flamingo obsession. This block could not express it any better.

Denise from Sacramento said...

I really enjoy your sense of humor. Also thank you for posting a picture of Tommy not very long ago. He always makes me smile. Such an inspiration! I wish my cats would listen to his wise advice. Love the piggy quilt, so colorful.

gayle said...

Moo! And whatever flamingos say!
Still chuckling over those rear legs.

Sue SA said...

Ha, ha, now that I have stopped looking at the cow's head, yes she did look a bit wobbly on her two legs, three will be so much better!

Judy Forkner said...

Thanks for the amusing post--I need all the levity I can get these days!

Carrolyn V said...

What a fun cow pattern!....and clever response......

Cherie in St Louis said...

Thanks for the chuckle....I'm sure I've seen the R67 block somewhere in the DJ literature ;-)