Saturday, September 22, 2018

Micro Spools

Here is the latest batch of micro-spools. They are well behaved so they only need one adult spool to supervise. Over the long haul, I think I may need a better method for keeping these in line. I may borrow the approach that Gayle at Mangofeet is taking with her demented quilt and combine the spools into groups of sixteen. That would make a 6 inch block (finished).

Sometimes the spool block is called a bobbin. And while I was finishing up the micro-spools, I ran out of bobbin thread. And by that I mean I had to replenish my supply. To pretend like I'm an organized seamstress, I also changed out the needle.

7 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Good idea - bulk filling bobbins!

Jacqueline said...

Holley Moley those are small spools.
I always wind a half of dozen bobbins at a time.

Amy said...

Great color thread! It's perfect for piecing those cute little spools. What brand is it, and does it have a number? I can see a new neutral in my future...

Sue SA said...

Your spools are super cute!

gayle said...

I love those adorable little spools!
I like to fill a big bunch of bobbins ahead, too. (If only I could carry through on the being organized part, though. "Oh, look, I've only got three bobbins left. I should fill some more."
"Oh, look, I've only got two bobbins left. I should fill some more." "Oh, look, I've only got one bobbin left. I should fill some more." "Oh, crap, I ran out of bobbin thread. Now I'll have to stop and fill some more...")

Cathy said...

I usually fill about 5-6 bobbins at a time, but always seem to have plenty (in the wrong colors, of course) hanging around. I wish your cute little spools could teach the cute little kids (I almost said “fools”, but that would be the parents) who visit the museum (where Bruce works) how to behave. And sorry about that sentence, too. ;-)

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh...sixteen spools to a six inch block. How many six inch blocks will you make? Those sure look tempting. After my machine decides it is full and quits eating them I may make some.

Bobbins? Bobbin winder on my newest machine doesn't work so I have to use an old machine. I just use one then go over and wind one, use one, go over and wind one. I was kind of surprised to see you use tan thread. Do you use that on everything? For some reason I thought you always used gray thread. I usually piece with natural colored thread.

I do wind a bunch of bobbins if I'm going to do FMQ.