Monday, October 27, 2014

So today I am starting the adventure of putting together two sides to make a reversible quilt. For this I-spy quilt, I have an evil side and a good side. I am beginning with the evil side which I machine quilted to some Quilter's Dream Cotton Batting. I stitched in the ditch to form a grid on the batting. In theory, I will be able to align the "good" or top side to this grid, get them to line up and then pin baste the top to the batting and "backing".

Stitching the "evil" side to the batting was surprisingly easy given how light it was.

And yesterday I finally finished weaving the endless purple towel. It is 3 feet by 6 feet, and just off the loom it felt more like a rug than a towel. Cutting weaving off the loom is definitely the fun part. Next I zigzagged the ends to hold it in place for the finishing...a wash and dry.

Here it is straight out of the dryer. When I make chenille scarves, they come off the loom stiff and then become very soft and cuddly once washed. This purple towel is still giving off more of a rug vibe. It has pearl cotton for the warp and then alternates pearl cotton and cotton chenille in the weft.

I was super impressed with how well a double set of zigzag stitches held up in the wash, so I decided to make a bit of a fringe ending. But only on one side. I had already sheered off the extra warp (i.e. the fringe) on the other side. I'll pretend I'm doing a test to see which holds up better, the fringe or a regular folded and stitched hem.

4 comments:

Cassandra Tondro said...

The purple towel looks lovely, Sally. It's great to see pictures of it after having heard about it for so long! I wonder if it will eventually soften up.

Vicki W said...

That's a very pretty purple rug!

Mystic Quilter said...

What an amazing relaxing colour! Looks so soft and cuddly.You're certainly braver than I tackling this double sided quilt!

Cathy said...

Wow. Impressive weaving.
Guess you don't need anymore good or evil fabrics.