Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Revisions

If Tommy were around he would have told me that yesterday's squirrel didn't look right and that squirrel's are rats with excellent PR. He appreciated that adding a bushy tail and a hop makes a world of difference. That said, squirrels do not have round heads. So I modified the earlier sketch and happily it only requires a larger flip triangle (a square sewn on the diagonal and then ironed over).
This would also make an excellent mouse head. And for this version of the squirrel I am sewing in the eye at the beginning rather than at the end. I discovered that I could use starch during the first part of Dale Fleming's six minute circle and it made it much easier to fold and iron back the fabric back to make the opening.
I also realized that I could use a polka dot to give the squirrel some googly eyes. I hope this will encourage the squirrel population in the woods to flourish. We used to be able to look out at any time and see a squirrel. But two springs ago we had a cicada emergence where cicada's drill holes in the end of branches to bury their eggs. What I didn't understand was that in the spring following the cicada emergence, the trees so affected don't produce nuts, seeds and fruit. And the woods are just not the same without squirrels.

6 comments:

Debra said...

funny how everything is connected. love your squirrel.

Mystic Quilter said...

I shall be waiting eagerly to see your new squirrel! That's sad that the squirrels are not around you any more, I love them, of course we don't have them here in NZ but we had both the red and the grey in England. Also have the same problem's with cicadas and their drilling habits!

Barbara said...

Smitty chased all of our squirrels to the perimeter of the property. He likes squirrels as much as he likes mousies.

Vicki W said...

Tommy would be right about squirrels being rats with good PR!

Debra said...

Cute squirrel. Lucy is always fascinated by the squirrels in our yard... especially when they come up on the front porch! ... and Tommy's right.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think.... you should be a comedy act!! The squirrels and the rats both - like the wires on my car.... and they chew through them.... but you still make me laugh!