Monday, January 4, 2021

Ugliest Fabric Game


Let's begin the new year with an accomplishment. The quilt top for PSP20 (Postage Stamp Pandemic 2020) is finished. And as a reminder, the original source for this infection/confection is Lynn Dykstra at Klein Meisje Quilts where Lynn is working on a series of quilts combining solids and prints. Then the infamous quilt infection super spreader Wanda Hanson at Exuberant Color held several large events where I caught my infection. Of course, Wanda had a very short course with her PSP20 infection while mine lingered for quite a long time. 

This is the only sense of accomplishment for the year, however. Obviously my intention to return to daily blogging ran up against reality. In addition, on New Year's Eve, Buddy awarded me with certification as his support animal. I declined only to learn that that isn't an option. And just to annoy me further, Molly and Buddy decided to have a "Purr Off" this morning...right next to my head. I begged them to use their indoor purrs, but they couldn't hear me screaming.

Last but not least, my new year was met with numerous requests to show the ugliest fabric on the planet. Such negativity to start the new year! Plus that would be a serious spoiler for the "prize" winner. So below I am showing nine different fabrics with five inch squares. And in no particular order, I describe each fabric and leave it to you to match patch and descriptor.


1. Reproduction fabric for the late 1800s named Worn and Loved.

2. Fabric designed by most influential quilter of our life time, Nancy Crow.

3. Fabric from a dress I wore in high school.

4. Fabric from another dress I wore in high school.

5. An adorable design referred to as Ghastlie.

6. One of my all time favorite Kaffe fabrics that is now out of print.

7. An out of print Tula Pink fabric that now sells for out of sight prices.

8. Mary Ellen Hopkin's favorite fabric that she insisted played well with all other fabrics.

9. The ugliest fabric on the planet.

13 comments:

gayle said...

Well, *I* would have wanted a high school dress made out of the one in the center.

Vicki W said...

I can't believe how much time I just spent trying to figure this puzzle out. I've got to get back to seaming a quilt back!

Quilter Kathy said...

Your quilt top is spectacular! Congrats on an amazing accomplishment!
I enjoyed the matching game!

Cathy said...

First, I’m glad you survived your PSP20. It’s beautimous! How are you going to quilt it? The matching game was fun, although I only knew 2 for sure, had good guesses for another three and was totally lost on the rest. That blue/pink/green one has to be one of your high school dresses, though!

Julia G said...

So I think I could identify 6 for sure, 2 were a toss up between 2 answers, thus leaving 1 to be the ugliest. This remaining one was tied with another fabric for my vote for ugliest. I'm not sure I should say which I thought was ugliest, since I now that my tastes often run different than other's taste. A fabric that I thought was the absolute ugliest was snatched up immediately when I put it on the free table. I enjoyed this fun game!

Cathy said...

Oh, that's a whole lot of postage stamps! Congrats to you for seeing it to the end and I'm glad you spread the virus on to me. It will be awhile before I'm over the PSP here.

I like how you laid out all the cat patches on the diagonal. I'm shocked you still have fabric from high school dresses. I can probably rule out the Y2K fabric for one of those then. I'm thinking top right and bottom left for some stylin' HS dresses. That was a fun brain exercise for first thing in the a.m. Thanks.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Just love the quilt!! I could stay interested in looking at it for along time.
Some are uglies, but a few I really like, hmm, not sure what that says about me.

sue s said...

One of the first dresses I made in Home Ec had a fabric similar to the upper right. It brought back instant memories! I like PSP now that I see it all together.

MissPat said...

The only one I know for sure is the Tula. I bet Wanda is amused that you've given her a new career. I don't have nearly enough solids to ever be tempted by the PS blocks in any year.
Pat

Magpie Sue said...

What does it say about me that I have at least two of those in my stash? I do hope you're planning to give us the answers to your puzzle in an upcoming post!

Amy said...

Ooo, this is a challenge for 2021! My guesses: And thanks for the fun!
Top Left 6
Top Middle 3
Top Right 2
Middle Left 7
Middle Middle 5
Middle Right 9 And I agree since I was given a FQ of this for my birthday a few years ago.
Bottom Left 4
Bottom Middle 1
Bottom Right 8

Amy said...

And Love your PS top! I've been working on one since Lynn first posted it. Not even near being done...

Susan said...

Your postage stamp quilt top in mind and eye boggling. That was a lot of work. I only know one of the fabrics in your game for sure. It's crazy, but I still have scraps of fabric from a couple of dresses/skirts I made in Home Ec. That would have been back in the dark ages.