Thursday, February 25, 2021

Some Progress


I do remember how to use a sewing machine. And unfortunately, Molly remembers how to break the thread between the spool and the machine. I made some of these blocks in pink last month and now here are the yellow ones.


And for those of you into a snow dyeing fail...here it is. I set it up with the fabric laying in a tub below a a slotted tub packed with snow and unmixed dye. In theory, as the snow melts, the dye drips on the fabric creating interesting effects. In my case, once the power was off, I was not interested in having a tub of snow in the house. I dumped everything out except for the fabric which I jammed into a plastic bag (a very hurried version of low emersion dyeing). The fabric sat in the bag in a part of the house that was roughly 40 degrees F (where as I recall 78 degrees F is recommended). When we got power back I did put it through many soakings of hot water until it ran clear. 

I would not recommend this technique.

Meanwhile, there is still a lot of activity around the neighborhood, although everyone around here now has power. But this branch was one of the reasons my neighbors had to wait a day longer for power. This is a view from my neighbor's yard, looking back towards my house. One day there was a crew to take down this limb.


Then the next day, the crew took down the entire tree. Unfortunately, Molly is taking photobombing to a whole new level.

Here you can see more tree work and less cat.

10 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I do not think that fabric is a fail. I think it is wonderful. I can see it cut into strips for a great quilt. None of my snow dyeing matched what was in my head. I could not get the dyes I wanted this year.

gayle said...

Well, obviously your goal was 'Fascinating Pink', so this is not a fail. Perhaps you've just forgotten what your original goal was...?
Molly could teach a Master Class in photobombing!

Cathy said...

I agree that the fabric is not a fail, but a potential pop fabric for any number of projects. My dyeing was limited mostly to dyeing rayon lace (and some lace painting) for my Etsy shop for a few years. I primarily used potassium permanganate for the dying, Jacquard paints for the painting. I never want to dye anything ever again. Molly is probably missing all the neighborhood action...

Kathy S. said...

LOL, silly Molly! She's the perfect photo bomber.

MissPat said...

It is fascinating to watch a crew taking down a tree. Our neighbors had a very large, old maple tree removed (half had come down in a wind storm and destroyed their shed). The tree was in the back yard and not accessible to a cherry picker, so the crew had to climb and remove branches section by section. Took them all day and required a lot of calculation to determine which branch to cut next and where to let it drop. Let's hope that's the end of your power outages for the year. And Molly needs to get back to supervising the sewing machine.
Pat

Tammy Hutchinson said...

Poor Molly! She knows that tree was home to birds and that is just sad. Sweet little yellow blocks, and lately I've been loving yellow with pink, and look-you have some so handy!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like the progress!! but when it is cold - it is just not fun to try things, although I still don't think that fabric is a fail - it kinda looks like a batik....

Jane Holbrook said...

The gold square inside low volume is wonderful.

QuiltGranma said...

What a lovely photo-bomber! Glad they got that bad branch out of there. Sorry y'all lost the shade though.

Tanya said...

Hi! Just discovered your blog through Pinterest. I LOVE it! So inspiring! Is there a tutorial for the monkey? I’ve been browsing but can’t seem to locate it. Any suggestions?