Monday, February 1, 2021

Past and Future


First, my sister mentioned that she was getting tired of seeing the bunnies, and I thought, what bunnies? Then my brother called and mentioned that I hadn't posted in a while. Then a short note from Gayle of Mangofeet and I thought, egad, the boss noticed. Molly, on the other hand, had noticed my complete lack of productivity lately and started to delete random blog posts to compensate. And finally, here is Buddy with his performance art piece called "Sally."

I am trying to get my sewing room straightened up...calling it organized would be a stretch. At one point, Gayle mentioned using her "design floor" and I adopted that practice until it became my "storage floor." In any case, I had plaids that were spilling out of their drawer and I noticed that it included seven shirts that had not been broken down. So I did that. Plaids are now contained.

And, of course, I am continuing to make microspools. 

Some time during the past month, we had a bit of a breeze that left us without power for 12 hours. This time I was better prepared and brought out the hexie project...a fabric catalog of animals from my stash. I had been stacking up the novelty prints and now they are put away too. 

Meanwhile, I fear that Molly may be moving into a "post-kitten" phase. Buddy and I would never use the three letter "c" word.

Given prophesies and conspiracy theories are all the rage, let me provide my own...this spring, large insects will erupt from dirt in and around Wash DC (near and under trees). They will leave their exoskeletons behind and climb and climb upward. Most will attempt flight where it is up to any objects to move out of their way. Rumor has it that after mating and laying eggs, they die, often clogging rain gutters and smelling of rotting shellfish. Dogs will gain weight.

I don't know how much information passes from parent cicada to their young...but if they do pass on information, the offspring will know nothing of the recent presidential election. They will ask Obama who? But they may ask who won the election between Bush and Kerry (their last emergence was 2004, the year I moved from the DC area.)

11 comments:

Julia G said...

So glad to see another post from you!

Susan said...

I am another person glad to see another post from you. I really like your stack of hexies. Maybe Molly is entering the K stage know as "kitty" -- not a kitten, but not exactly a cat. You know--like the teenage years.

Robin said...

Happy to see your post and know you are well.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Isn't it nice that people worry when we go silent. Molly is a K; my furkids are M (mature).

Magpie Sue said...

Yes, you've been missed. Or I should say, Molly has been missed. Her adoring fans have been wondering whether Buddy finally squashed her for good.

Cathy said...

Nice to hear from you again.
Ewwww on Brood X Cicadas! (But the fabric is kind of cute).

gayle said...

I see Buddy doing what I would be doing if I was allowed anywhere near your stash...
You can try congratulating Molly on 'leveling up' as she moves from kitten to kitty. Give her a badge maybe?

Linda Swanekamp said...

Glad you and the kitties resurfaced. Sounds like reorganization is as about much as it is here.

Cathy said...

I was going to call you to see what was up (but not without warning). instead, I decided to mail Alfie to you to stir things up. He should be arriving about... NOW. xo

maryl said...

Woo-hoo! :)

QuiltGranma said...

Awe, Buddy, you are SO good at keeping the fabric piles from flying up into the air! Molly, your ears are adorable! Love those plaid shirts in that pile!