Friday, June 25, 2021

Heat Dome


 One might think that I got a bit overheated in anticipation of the high temperatures that we are expecting this weekend. But I live under a heat dome most of the time, but I just call him Buddy.

Instead, this cat is 12 inches square and I made him for this year's SAQA auction, one of their annual fund raising efforts. He's made almost entirely by hand except for the paper pieced front legs/clown collar, the background and the facing (instead of a binding).  And surprisingly, I finished him a full 5 days before the submission deadline.

I was inspired to make the cat with hand appliqué after watching a few too many Prospective Flow videos on YouTube.  I drew the cat figure trying to replicate a cat from a screen print I made back in August 2012. About all I remembered correctly were the teeth and the odd colors.

7 comments:

Dorothy said...

I love your kitty. Kind of scary looking but still loveable. Wonder who I'm talking about ?

Cherie in St Louis said...

Wow, talk about inspiration…..Prospective Flow is amazing and so is your cat!

Linda Swanekamp said...

He reminds me of cat cartoons when I was little and they were hand drawn.

gayle said...

That Prospective Flow video was absolutely mesmerizing! I can see where it would be really easy to watch "a few too many" of them.
I love this kitty from the tips of his toes to the tips of his ears! Twelve inches square doesn't seem like nearly enough to contain all that personality!

Cathy said...

Prospective Flow… interesting. Rather a bit “out there” for my conventional (read: boring) mindset. But I really like your wild and crazy cat!

Jerilea Hendrick said...

This guy is so fantastical. Love it!

Julia G said...

Fabulous!