Tuesday, December 27, 2016
Ostrich Head Tutorial
In any case, the components for each ostrich are very straight forward, and at least at this point, I can show you how to construct the ostrich head.
For an ostrich head, you will want five fabrics. Because I am made lots of heads, I cut full strips of each size described below.
1. A very dark color, like black, for the pupil. (1.5 inch strip)
2. A background fabric (I am using a very light fabric). (1.5 inch strip, 2.5 inch strip)
3. The ostrich color (dark grey). (1.5 inch strip, 2.5 inch strip, 3.5 inch strip)
4. The top part of the ostrich beak (lightest gray) (1.5 inch strip, 2.5 inch strip)
5. The bottom part of the ostrich beak (medium gray) (1.5 by 3.5 inch rectangle)
I start with the eyes and sew two ostrich color (dark grey) 1.5 inch strips on either side of the black pupil strip (also 1.5 inches). I then cut the strip set into 2.5 inch chunks so the rectangle is 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches. Next, I take another 1.5 inch gray strip and sew it to the top and bottom. Since these are the ostriches eyes, you probably want to make two of them.
Also, sew the eyes to either side of the beak bridge. Then sew a 1.5 inch strip to either side of the ostrich head.
The top head piece will now be 4.5 inches by 9.5 inches. The lower chin section will be the same size so you can sew them together.
Hmmm...given that I don't know how this quilt is going to turn out...is this another mystery quilt?