Monday, October 29, 2018

Spools

This may look like a handful of spools to you, but for me, it is the last batch needed to complete my collection of 720 spools. I needed 30 more spools. Then I found a duplicate spool. It was ejected, and then I needed 31. I'm sure there are counting errors, but with an estimate of 721, its time for the spools to form foursomes.

And sewing these together is going to be quite nice. When sewing pairs, the diagonals of the spools nestle together. When sewing the pairs together, the diagonals nestle and the opposing block seams cuddle.

But not all is harmonious. Yesterday, I cleaned up all the cat toys and put them away. This morning, this pile of "strings" was in the middle of the bedroom. (These are the parts of thrift store shirts that Bonnie Hunter would have you throw away, but are often used in the wild to lure free range kittens.)

In the living room, the container of cat toys was knocked over, and the toys were strewn around it. And we're certainly thinking the same thing...POLTERGEIST.

Then as I was posting this photo, I noticed an odd bit of orange in the pile of strings. It's a dental pick brush that I use for cleaning out the sewing machine. Obviously, the poltergeist cannot distinguish tools from cat toys.

And then as I was taking photos of the spools, my camera picked up this vague outline that is very hard to make out given the beige carpet and the pile of neutrals. But yes, the glowing red eyes is the hint that the camera may have captured the poltergeist in repose.

5 comments:

Dolores said...

It is that time of year - for poltergeists, and goblins. Good luck in putting those little spools together. How big/small are they?

Cathy said...

That Buddy is an amazing change-ling! Cat, dog, pony, poltergeist.... did I miss an incarnation? I can’t wait to see the spools come together. How long have you been working on them? It really hasn’t been all that long if I remember (and I usually don’t).

Barbara said...

We have the same problem at the Three Cats Ranch. Does your poltergeist travel...possibly in Star Trek transporter fashion? It explains a lot around here...and me, blaming the cats. When will I ever learn? Cats are, at all times, perfect angels, absolutely incapable of mischief. Thank you for proving Sadie’s point.

Dee W said...

I love these spools. I was at a garage sale, found a bag that I thought was 2" 30's squares. Turns out they are precut 1 1/2" bowtie block pieces. I have a stack (made by maker, held by a thread that runs thru the middle of 2" finish blocks), and a whole stack, probably another 100 of bows done, need background added. Some by hand, some by machine. Plus more cut pieces waiting for construction.

QuiltGranma said...

Whoooooo knows what lurks in the minds of cats! They get frisky at night while their servants sleep!