Saturday, October 13, 2018

Seahorses and Postage

I finished the last few right-facing seahorses this morning and have been working on their layout. I had them arranged in a staggered pattern, but have lined them up to reduce the chaos. I am still planning on sewing them together without sashing. Then I will have to make another huge batch of seahorses and cut off them tails for the border.

The seahorses were made as part of the RSC challenge many, many, many years ago. The quilt stalled out when I discovered at the end of the year that I needed more seahorses. I also couldn't figure out a good layout.

The postage stamp blocks are for this year and I was planning on a two by four block quilt. Now I am thinking of adding white sashing between the blocks and making it three by three. But I could also see me lose my mind and decide to make four more. But first I'll add one more block, and I'm thinking dark green...wouldn't that be appropriate.

For more lovely dark green blocks, please visit SoScrappy and the Rainbow Scrappy Challenge.

14 comments:

gayle said...

Dark green will be perfect! (And convenient!)
Did you try the seahorses with a half-drop setting? Every time I look at them they start dancing again and I can't remember.

Cathy said...

Cutting off the tails? How cruel. Why not just make snails’s trail blocks? No one cares about snails (except, maybe, their moms). But I know how your mind works, and that’s probably exactly what you mean. And hey, the way you whipped through your Demented quilt, you could whip up four more postage stamp blocks before lunch.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Well, I would hate to see you cut off any seahorse tails, but a quilter's gotta do what a quilter's got to do! I love those postage stamp blocks! What size are the little squares?

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful blocks, they all look so great together!

Julie in GA said...

The seahorses look great all paired up like that! I'm looking forward to seeing them completed (with or without tails!) The postage stamp blocks are amazing!! I vote for four more (sorry, but they are too good to stop!)

Barbara said...

The seahorses are looking great, and I love the postage stamps. I like the idea of a white sashing too. It will make a striking quilt.

PaulaB quilts said...

Your seahorses are just so sweet! Please, please don’t sacrifice any for the tails. That’s just for lobsters. Actually a sail trail border would be very nice. I agree about white sashing for the other blocks. Two fun finishes coming up. Can’t wait.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I like how you are going with both of those quilts. So sweet.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Three by three is a much better option for your Postage Quilt than the original 2 x 2 idea. Four by four would work really well, too. Good luck deciding your next step!

Julia G said...

What about brown or gray for your last postage stamp block? I think 3x3 is better than 2x4.

Kathy S. said...

Wow! The seahorses are outstanding!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great job getting all your seahorse blocks completed. I like the "kissing" layout. In fact, you could even put a thin sashing between them with three spaced colored squares just above their lips to signify kisses or bubbles. But it will be cute no matter how you set the blocks.

Mystic Quilter said...

Always love to see your seahorses and the setting you're going with. I think your postage stamp blocks would look good with a 3 x 3 setting.

JanineMarie said...

Well dark green—yes indeed! I’m sorry, I haven’t followed your seahorse progress, but if you’re going to cut off the tails for a border—could you just make the part you need instead of the whole seahorse? I haven’t seen that pattern before. It’s really cute.