Sunday, October 14, 2018

Staggering Seahorses and Nearly Insane

Yesterday, Gayle at Mangofeet suggested I try a half-drop layout for the seahorses. I tried it out in Photoshop and then tried it out in real life. It's a winner. And when is Gayle ever wrong? I may rename it staggering seahorses though. Oh, and I think this also means I have to make three more right facing seahorses so I can have odd number of columns.


And I finally transferred the photos from the Pacific International Quilt Festival from my phone to the computer. For me, the highlight of the show was Frances Meredith's Nearly Insane quilt. (You can follow her at the blog Faberdashery as she makes masterpiece after masterpiece.) I had Molly pose in front of her quilt to prove that we were actually there.

And just to prove what a newfangled world we live in, Frances pieces his quilts by hand but quilts them with her long-arm. This is a detail of the quilt. Frances is also the master of cornerstones.

Here is another close up. I love how she combines the quilting with the patchwork.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Both quilts are fabulous. The seahorses look great. You’re right about Gayle, she helped me solve a piecing puzzle involving Y-seams once.

Annette Mandel said...

Maybe starfish blocks to offset the rows? Or kelp? I like staggering seahorses. A78mandel at yahoo dot com

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I like them staggered and staggering seahorses is such a fabulous name! That insane quilt is insane! So beautiful! At first I thought you made it in your spare time. I feel better now, knowing someone else made it.

Sue SA said...

Love it when someone else sorts out your quilting problems for you! Looks great. Amazing quilt and quilting, so much detail.

gayle said...

Oh, I'm blushing!
Glad the seahorses are enjoying their new staggering dance. They look like they're having fun!
And that insane quilt is absolutely gorgeous! (I think Molly should have taken your picture in front of it, too, for proof-of-attendance purposes. Though she might have just taken a series of selfies...)

Cathy Kizerian said...

That nearly insane quilt is amazing. I had only seen blocks here and there, never the entire quilt. Did Molly attend as an observer, or was she there working? I’m sure she could probably run the show with one paw tied behind her back.

Frances Meredith said...

So glad Molly made it to the show and thanks for the photos. I expect she noticed that every block was hand stitched with Suzi’s fur which adds real integrity to the piece.
Seahorses look grand.



floribunda said...

So nice to meet you IRL at the show! Sorry I didn’t get to meet Molly, too — she must have been shopping, right?

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the new layout for the seahorse pack, and thanks for sharing the photo of the Nearly Insane quilt from Frances, a stunner.