Sunday, September 12, 2021

Chipper

Here are this month's chips in orange for the Rainbow Scrappy Challenge...and yes, a day late and a dollar short.  And in case we've forgotten, these blocks are the building blocks for a quilt designed by Alison Glass for Andover fabrics called Sun Print 2016 Quilt. This free pattern can be downloaded from the Andoverfabrics website.

And with a spurt of energy, I sewed the blocks into pairs and then groups of four. This is also where I parted company with the layout from the Alison Glass pattern where the blocks are sewn in columns. While the chips zig and zag, they don't also bounce up and down. And who doesn't want more chaos?

Now that I have this tentatively laid out, I decided on a final size and will need to make 20 more blocks.

I also made 69 more microspools and am showing a selection of those here. These finish to a size of 1.5 inches square.

Last but not least, I had a troll in the comments of my last post. Molly and Buddy's aunt objected to my pointing out that she had won two first place ribbons at the Oregon State Fair compared to my measly second place. My sister commented that needlework doesn't count as much as quilting. But then when we went and picked up the quilts and needlework, it turned out that the quilt she had submitted in the art category had also garnered a first place ribbon. So let me make a factual correction to the last post and point out that my sister received THREE first place ribbons while Molly and Buddy received none.

We also received comments from the judges on our quilts...my sister only had lots of effusive praise about all aspects of her quilt (which it deserves). In fact, the comments were so nice, the paper they were on felt sticky to the touch. The owl quilt, however, needed better workmanship on the binding. While the piecing was judged excellent, the appliqué needed work...which I am taking as a compliment because the entire quilt is pieced.


 

5 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love the chips! The spools are so much fun to see. I just got rejected from a quilt show and that is the end for me. In the past, my favorite judge comment was "quilting distorts the fabric". I took it as a compliment.

gayle said...

Your chips are fantastic! I love the way they're bouncing along!
When I saw "the appliqué needed work...", I thought "Applique? There was applique? I don't remember any applique..." Yep, definitely a compliment.

Quilter Kathy said...

I love your improved chaotic design with more bouncing added LOL
Your commitment to the microspools is amazing and I can't wait to see it!
I'm sure the judges will love the applique on that one! LOLOL
Thank you for the much needed giggles today :)

MissPat said...

The "chips" quilt is inspiring. May give that one some thought for RSC 2022. And I do hope you start working on improving your applique techniques. Must be why you didn't win any blue ribbons.
Pat

Susan said...

Love your chips layout as it is so far. Judges--one person's opinion and who knows what kind of mood they are in when they judge a quilt. Obviously this judge's eyesight needs checking.