I chose a slightly weird way to applique this block. Instead of applying the melons and the center piece, I made a template of the background space and made four background sections that I appliqued to the floral print.
And yes, this version turned out so awful I took it apart and made a new one using a different floral print.
And this is a cat full of pickle juice. Molly figured out how to push the sewing notion trays out so she can scoop sharp objects out and drop them on Buddy (who then chews on his new treasure). Molly also got up on a sewing table where I had placed a variety of spools of thread. Molly then carefully batted each one off the table onto Buddy's head. Molly is either developing her own theories of gravity or auditioning for her own YouTube channel.