Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Keeping Time with Hourglass Blocks

Today I made hourglass blocks from pairs of four patches I made for Project Quilt. I made the matching pairs four patches before I decided to make hourglass blocks that had four different colors in each block. I found this project when I was cleaning up the sewing room. The unfinished blocks are 3.75 inches. For comparison, I left one of the bow-ties...it is 2.5 inches unfinished. I forgot to mention I added this smaller version of bow-ties to the mix.


This is a reminder that I sew the hourglasses around the periphery and then cutting along the diagonals. The big drawback of this method if picking little triangle bits from the corners and cutting dog ears.


And here is the new sewing machine cover...it covers the cone of thread, the thread holder and the sewing machine. I continue with my my campaign to prevent Molly Kitten from chewing on the thread as it goes from cone to machine. 


Here is the unrepentant Buddy who continues to swallow crunchies instead of chewing them slowly (like his sister who didn't need to have a dental cleaning this year). Buddy thinks she didn't have to go because she uses the sewing machine thread as dental floss.

 

4 comments:

gayle said...

Ya know, Buddy may be on to something...

Ruth L. said...

Wait, you make two four patches, with opposite values touching you sew their circumference, then cut twice on the diagonal to get four hourglass blocks? I haven't seen this method before. It's slick, to be sure, but oh the bias edges! Well, at least those block edges won't fray much.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Very pretty Hourglass blocks!

Linda Swanekamp said...

There is something really neat about quarter square blocks. I like the way you sew them. I have a cat who inhales his food and greenies for his teeth never even touch them. He usually leaves all the sewing stuff alone except for parking himself on it.