Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Apologies to the Spool Quilt


 I made a backing for the darting fish quilt yesterday. It has been hanging on the design wall for a long time waiting for its backing. To get to it, I had to take the spool quilt off the display stand. I may have have said some strong words due to the combination of a light display stand and a heavy quilt. Buddy told me its inappropriate to weight-shame quilts, so I weighed it and discovered it only weighs 8 pounds. Apparently, I'm a weakling.


Here's the backing I made for the quilt. Who doesn't love swimming rats and girls named Alice in distress. What I don't love is the green hue next to the blue.  What was I thinking?


Then I noticed the color shift between the quilt top and the border? Had the quilt top faded before I put on the border...or is the outer border from a different dye lot? Do I need a different border.


Next, I got out the fat fish quilt top hoping it might be a better match for the Tula and Alice quilt back. But it looks like its missing half of the quilt. It's so tiny. Did I run out of backing fabric or is their another half of the quilt somewhere.

Clearly, I am living too much in the past. Finishing quilts is over-rated and I am inclined to go back to less stressful activities like starting new quilts.



4 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Starting new quilts is always a good rush. However, yours are so wonderful, that finishing would be a high also.

gayle said...

I'm pretty sure that even thinking about finishing a quilt means you get to start another quilt. There may be a mistake in my math, but I'm not going back to check.

Beth Strand said...

Lol...I love that thought!

cbott said...

Chuckling over gayle's "quilt math".

The last time I made a quilt I feared was too heavy (hush, Buddy), it turned out to be quite comfortable to sleep under. It weighed in (before binding) at 7.7 pounds. Deets here: https://cbottsprojects.blogspot.com/2020/01/behemoth.html

Carolyn