Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Infection

A few days ago in our first lesson for Patchwork Biology, some of you were surprised to learn that large patchwork blocks produce miniature blocks. This can occur when blocks are left unsupervised to mingle before being sewn into a quilt top. Now you may better understand some quilters' obsession with UFOs (unfinished projects).

Today's lesson addresses Patchwork infection, where innocent quilters are infected by another quilter's disease or patchwork obsession. The first step of the infection is to justify it in some way (for example, using scraps or liking miniatures) and then to present it to other quilters' so they will perpetuate the virus/patchwork. For today's example, take for example Cathy at Sane, Crazy, Contagious Quilts where she presents miniature log cabin blocks made from one inch strips.

In this case, we can follow the infection backwards to the source: Julie K and her petri dish called Log Cabin Loonies.  If you happen across such infections, please practice appropriate safeguards and do not join the infection party, post about it, or engage in any infection related activities.

Please note that in the specimen pictured above, the block is 5 inches finished.    

10 comments:

Frances Meredith said...

It is surprising how widespread these infections go. I have a similar 1/4 logcabin on the go using up scraps as small as 3/4 wide. When will WHO get involved?

Julierose said...

Fortunately ;))), I got that virus and am making little cabins...it has, though, taken over my sewing room...1"-ers EVERYWHERE!! I had to post a Quarantine sign on the door to my room...lol
your blocks are just lovely (And who knows what size mine will turn out to be--this virus mutates
according to your seam allowance , I hear...) hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

Oh, yes! Thankfully there has been no rash, fever, stomach cramps, aches or itching so far. Not sure how long the infection will persist though.

gayle said...

Yep. I'll watch a Zombie Apocalypse movie and think "Oh, that's just like quilting. So contagious."

Cathy said...

Damn! I think I’ve got the symptoms thanks to double exposure from both you and Cathy. And since Cathy’s “new” blog name is Sane, Crazy and Contagious Quilts, I hereby christen your blog as Objects of Infection (or Contagion - you can pick).

Mystic Quilter said...

I love log cabin made with these narrow strips, how many are you intending to make?

MissPat said...

I've been staring at this pile of 1" little strips wondering if I should just pitch them in the dog bed bag, but now I'm feeling a strange sensation enveloping me. Arrgghh!
Pat

Louise said...

I seem to have a natural immunity to log cabins blocks, and haven't made one yet. However, I know once you've started, the immune system breaks down completely.

QuiltGranma said...

About 8 years ago I began making log cabin blocks, using 1 1/2 inch strips. Put it away, but kept adding new strips when I bought new fabric in that genre... 1800's fabrics. I'd cut one strip from each in my collection when I first started this. Finally got back to making some earlier this month. Will have to check my seam allowances, not ending up at desired finished size of 7"! Very interesting to see the scrappiness of this one, none of the fabrics in mine are to repeat within the block... got a couple that didn't cooperate though. Will keep them as is though.

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

I like your little blocks! This is so contagious I dropped everything else and can't help myself from making more of these little gems!