Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Dear Jane C5 or Eye of the Cyclone

Here is Dear Jane block C5 or Eye of the Cyclone. This turned out to be surprisingly easy.
First, I made a pinwheel and cut a circle with extra for the seam allowance.

Then I made a running stitch around the outer edge of the circle, and used that to pull the circle tightly around a Karen Buckley mylar circle. And yes, I was careful to make sure it was centered.

Here is the backside. I took out the mylar circle because it gave off too much reflection. Again, the back looks a bit wacky, but it was the front I was worrying about. Then I made the wing-like wedges using freezer paper templates. I ironed back two sides of the wings over the templates. I don't bother with glue or starch. I tucked the four wings under the circle. Then everything was appliqued in one go.

Although slightly different than the template in the Dear Jane book or even in Jane Stickle's quilt, I like Fabadashery's version the best.  And although it looks trickier, I realized all I would have to do is make a pinwheel, then sew two strips together and cut out four moon shapes from them. Finally I would only have to applique the moon shapes on top of the pin wheel.

 And Molly would like to point out that the name "Eye of the Cyclone" is ridiculous. Her sister was Cyclone, and the patchwork doesn't look anything like her eye.

And I would like to point out that Cyclone was half of Molly's size but twice as naughty. She liked to climb up me to get to higher places to snoop around. Also, she was the first to climb up the design wall. And she only had two speeds: fast and faster. No off button for her. Yes, I miss her very much. But almost every naughty thing Molly does, she learned from her sister Cyclone.


3 comments:

Barbara said...

Molly naughty? Impawsible. I don't believe it.

Mystic Quilter said...

What an interesting Dear Jane block today and a lovely photo of Cyclone.

Teresa in Music City said...

Well, I'm sorry but I'm not believing that sweet Molly could do anything naughty! Perhaps her sister got all the naughty and Molly got all the sweet? Seems they were named appropriately LOL I'm loving your Dear Jane blocks in Kaffe fabrics!!! I've made that quilt but my fabrics were much more traditional (and not nearly as beautiful)