Monday, October 16, 2017

Friendship Star Variation

Now that I am finally binding that other baby quilt, I feel I can now start the quilt I had intended to make originally, the Friendship Star Variation. I loved these blocks when I saw them on Cathy's Crazy by Design blog. I tried to make them but got it all wrong and made the other quilt instead. So now I'm calling a do-over.

I may be using a different construction technique, however. First, I always prefer to make flip triangles (squares in the corners that are ironed over) instead of half-square triangles (HSTs). Also, this lets me use partial seams which makes me happy for reasons that make no more sense than my preference for flip triangles.

In any case, I cut four 2.5 by 4.5 rectangles of light fabric, and nine 2.5 inch squares of green. I sew two flip triangles on each of the light rectangles. Then I sew a partial seam as shown in the diagram. The partial seam allows me to take the next rectangle and sew a straight seam all the way across. Same for the next rectangle and the one after that. Then, last but not least, I finish sewing the partial seam. What fun!

Only 32 more blocks to go because the block finishes at six inches and the final baby quilt will be 36 inches square.


7 comments:

Barbara said...

Oh...I like that. Friendship star is one of my favorites. Sort of like an inside out pinwheel...another favorite.

Julierose said...

Very pretty star variation...hugs, Julierose

gayle said...

I also fell in love with Cathy's friendship stars, and was planning to make them for next year's RSC. But you are making me impatient to start...

Sue SA said...

Great block, perfect for Rainbow scrap challenge and leaders/enders, thanks for the dimensions.

Cathy said...

Great method! I wish I’d thought of it 114 blocks ago!

Julie in GA said...

I wish I had thought of that method too. My blocks are HSTS and a center square. Yours will make a great baby quilt!

Melody A. said...

Great Tutorial !! love the method of constructing the block this way. thank you. Take care and Happy Sewing from Iowa