Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Back on track...

Okay, I'm back on track. I cut more light fabrics, 2 in and 3 in strips. I also cut more dark fabrics, also 2 in and 3 in strips. I then sewed the strips together...2 in light strips to 3 in dark strips AND 3 in light strips to 3 in light strips. These were cut into 2 inch strip sets.

At this point there are light squares sewn to dark rectangles and dark squares sew to light rectangles. Then its back to the sewing machine to sew the light square sets to another light square set so the light squares are on opposite sides (see above). Same for the dark squares.

Then two triangles are cut from these strip sets using the Easy Angle triangle. I align the ruler to give a quarter inch seam extending from the corner of the square. And the strip sets have just a little extra room so there is a sliver left over as waste...let's call it wiggle room.  I call the resulting triangles bat wings. Some of you may call them angel wings.

Then a bat wing with a light square is sewn to a bat wing with a dark square...and that's the main component that I'm using for the Garden Mosaic/Demented/Dementor quilt. I think that block unit is called cotton gin or cotton reel or some such.

In any case, I now have the 50 new components needed to pull the final quilt together.

No comments:

Post a Comment