Saturday, May 23, 2020

Postage


Postage stamp blocks. I have seen others make postage stamp blocks by cutting individual 1.5 inch squares, plan them out and then sew them together. That is much too exacting for me. I cut strips of the "solid" fabric and sew snippets (anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 inch bits of 1.5 inch strips) to the solid strip. Next, I cut the snippets apart and iron them (one direction for nesting later).

Next, I trim down the snippets to a width of 1.5 inches to make two patches. These are sewn into four patches. I continue to build these units into larger units until I have the final block.

8 comments:

Cathy said...

However you make them they get my stamp of approval. Someday when I buy fabric again I think I need to invest in some solids.

Julierose said...

I like how you are putting these together--they look super
~ ~ ~ waving in the milky sunshine Julierose

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I like your method, and the result is just perfect!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is the fun part, we can each use whatever method we want to get to the end result. It's having fun along the way that counts.

gayle said...

I always get postage envy after seeing your blocks. I need to hunt up some solids and put my lazy butt to work!

QuiltGranma said...

Great plan on doing it with less hassle!

Mystic Quilter said...

Your Postage Stamp blocks are looking good - I only have two sewn up so far and I'm not sure how many I'm going to need as yet. What size quilt are you making?

The Joyful Quilter said...

What an interesting method of construction you use for your Postage Stamp blocks. I use a similar technique when making Crumb blocks.