Monday, October 25, 2021

All My Chips On The Table


Here are all the sun chip blocks sewn together. Next stop is a small border using leftovers of the white with black fabric. And no, I'm not using grayish fabric in the corners. My design wall is suffering from saggy skin. Probably better lighting than a stormy Portland sky would help as well.

And speaking of stormy skies, Princess Molly lost heat to her princess tent when the electricity went out yesterday. Buddy, too, had to leave his heated bed and search for primitive heat sources. And with two cats for one heat source, there may have been an altercation where a larger cat thought it could boss around a wee princess cat only to find her turn into a hornets' nest. 


Saturday was the last day of the Clark County Quilters' show, so I returned to pick up my quilts and help with takedown. I got there early so I had a chance to take a lot more pictures without dodging many people.

This was the best in show, a quilt called Remembrance by Judith Phelps. It uses raw edge applique and careful use of grays in the quilting to get the painterly effect.


Here is a detail showing the red fruit with snow.


And here is a detail of the sky.


And with that much machine quilting, why not make the quilt reversible? (That is, this is the back of the quilt...)

9 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Chips is such a fun quilt. I think I'd call it Confetti Dreams. Remembrance is an amazing quilt, thanks for sharing.

Linda Swanekamp said...

So, you are cashing in all your chips? Sorry, I could not resist the joke. Looks lovely and fun. Tugger is strongly hinting that the gas fireplace should be on. I have resisted turning on the house heat so far hearing about the huge $$ increases in natural gas. Tugger will wrestle me down to turn it on soon I think.

gayle said...

I love how your chips sparkle! The quilt will be pure joy!
Poor pitiful kitties with their heat source woes...
Thanks for the look at Remembrance - both front and back! (I was once at a quilt show with my MIL and youngest daughter and we were admiring the hell out of a gorgeous multicolor machine-quilted quilt, when the docent said "you do realize this is the back of the quilt?" We backtracked around to see the front and realized we'd already been by it - for some reason that I still don't understand, the front of the quilt was kind of 'meh' but the back was absolutely stunning. Quilts can be quite mysterious...)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

All My Chips is so colorful and happy! your quilt show quilt is Amazing!!
Poor kitties - I hope they warmed up

Julia G said...

Stunning quilt! Thanks for sharing.

MissPat said...

That show quilt is amazing and clearly deserved it's Best in Show award. Your chips quilt is turning out very chipper. Sorry the kitties are suffering for inadequate heat sources.
Pat

Susan said...

Your Chips quilt reminds me of confetti. It is happy quilt. The Remembrance quilt is stunning. It amazes me she got the back to be the reverse of the front. Thanks for sharing it. You may be the old fashioned heat source for the kitties, but I suspect they are a heat source for part of you too.

Cathy said...

Your Chips quilt is looking awesome! It is a light and lively quilt (or is that the name of my yogurt?!?). Wow, Remembrance is amazing and totally deserving of Best In Show. Now, here’s the deal. . . That picture of Molly sleeping in her Princess tent is very evocative of Remembrance, color-wise. Your assignment is to copy Judith Phelps’ methods and produce next year’s Best in Show quilt. If you make those pom-poms red, you’ll nail it!

Dorothy said...

All My Chips is so bright and sparkly. Love it. The best of show is amazing-but the back is more impressive than the front. Thank you for sharing