Thursday, October 28, 2021

The Tortoise and the Hare and the Snail

Here are the strip sets I have made so far for the Clown Kaleidoscope quilt I am making as part of Cathy's (of Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting) string quilt marathon. The slight difference is that she is apparently making 26 string quilts and I'm making one, maybe, assuming someone doesn't come along and post something else or maybe Buddy wants to have a deep philosophical discussion. And yes, I am starting a movement called "Super Slow" Quilting that uses a distracted, jumpy attention span to reduce progress to a crawl.

Meanwhile, let's go back to the Clark County Quilters' show. This is a quilt called Over The Hill by Nancy Tubbs based on a Wendy Williams Block of the Month. First, let me assure you that the quilt is not blurry in real life and seems to stem from a problem with the photographer. This quilt won 2nd place.

I particularly liked this quilt because of this detail. The circles over the stripe would make a great fabric design and really gave life to this border stripe. The quilter for this quilt is DeAnn Perrigo of Quiltthyme Studio.

Here is another quilt made by Nancy Tubbs as part of another Block of the Month with Wendy Williams. This quilt is called What Next?, and it also won 2nd place, but for the "Mixed" category.

 

Here's my favorite quilting detail for this quilt, also quilted by DeAnn Perrigo of Quiltthyme Studio. Apparently I like circles...but the jaunty angles is a nice subtle touch in a quilt where all parts are calling attention to themselves.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

The Nancy Tubbs quilts are awesome. I’ve been working on strings, too, so count me in on the crazy string train marathon. I’ll end up somewhere between Cathy’s 26 quilts and your one. Your Clown Kaleidoscope is going to be bright and beautiful if those strips are any indication!

Unknown said...

I'm with you on the "Super Slow" quilting path - or shall I say craze? Cathy is super productive. She says she is tired of strings now. I shudder to think what will capture her attention next, because her next focus creates squirrels in my house. And not the fun ones for my kitty to chase. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

gayle said...

I seem to be shifting from Super Slow to Not Moving At All...
Thanks for sharing those quilting details! I never would have thought of sneaking circles into that border stripe!

Dorothy said...

Thank you for sharing close ups. I tend to call circles "bubbles" and I love it when my longarm quilter slides them into my quilts unbeknown to me until I see the "finished" quilt when I pick it up from her (and leave my check) :-)

Cathy said...

Speaking of clowning around...Kathy Doughty has an actual circus quilt that I think is in the same book as that Stashbuster kaleidoscope --- Material Obsession 2. I have some circus fabric...now I just need to find some stripes then I will be clowning around slowly.