Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Microspool Shocker!


 I have been working on the microspools for a long time now and have been presenting them in small chunks as I finish them, usually between other projects. But recently Cathy at Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting showed a Clown Kaleidoscope that I want to make right now. It starts with strip piecing, a project that doesn't mix well with projects with 1 inch square pieces. I had three boxes of  stacks of cut microspool units ready to sew...


So I finished sewing all the microspools and here they are in a pile. Well, these are the addendum...I still have to sort these by color etc. so I can make sure I don't have any duplicates within this pile or with the original set of microspools. And yes, I have already found one duplicate sorting this pile.


The reason I loved this kaleidoscope was it looked vintage, yet was loaded with Kaffe fabrics. Combined with lots of polka dots, this quilt gives a serious clown vibe. I sort my scraps by color, not size, so my first task was sifting through my scraps pulling out fabrics that looks like something a clown might wear. 

And just as a side note, the quilt in question was made by Kathy Doughty and is in her book Adding Layers 2, and is called Stashbuster. That explains the delightfully quirky fabric combinations. 


And I would like to assure everyone that Molly's princess tent now sits on a heated cat pad. This is fortunate because Buddy now claims both of the regular heated beds for himself. 


The princess tent retains its flexibility though, if for example, there is a tent invasion by a red laser dot.



1 comment:

gayle said...

That Cathy - a squirrel-scatterer of the highest order!
I can't believe that princess tent is still intact. My two rampaging feline overlords would have had that reduced to tattered shreds by now...