Saturday, December 18, 2021

Hourglass Frenzy


Here are the four latest shard blocks where each block has 16 hourglass units. In my Oct. 11, 2021 post, I show how I make them four at a time from strips and four patches. For this block, I just use two fabrics. But if I vary the four patches, I can make the hourglasses so that each fabric in the unit is different.

And please forgive this photo. Although I am getting better at adjusting the photos in Affinity Photo, there is a huge disparity of how the photo looks within the program and how it is showing up here...in the blogger editing program. Guess I should first check to see how it looks elsewhere on different devices.

And in the Dec. 9, 2021 post, I showed what size strips I need to cut in order to make a particular size hourglass. I was mostly looking at larger sizes, and decided to add some smaller size hourglass blocks. For homework, I will let you show what happens when you use 1 inch strips. (Warning: these reflect how I cut and sew, so your mileage may differ.)


Oh, and here are the hourglass units I made for Part 4 of Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt. As a reminder, I am making an opposite quilt where I use secondary colors instead of primary colors. Where Bonnie calls for neutrals, I am using black and where she is using pink, I am using medium purple. For garnet (dark pink), I am using light purple.


5 comments:

Cathy said...

I don’t know how you can even SEE those small pieces! But I know you’re going to have some fun projects when they’re done. Darla and Alfie have been fighting over the heated cat bed, so Santa Claws will be bringing another one. (And just for the record, Darla is apparently the Alpha cat at our house).

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Those are really tiny pieces! That is a great technique to make these. I really like the way they look together - blending and subtly showing the design.

gayle said...

I believe I'll pass on the 1" strip experiment...

Linda Swanekamp said...

You must have great concentration and patience to work on such tiny units. I look at the mystery quilts, but they are usually too busy for my eyes to make one. The last one I made was Grand Illusion and gave away the blocks. Thanks for your hourglass tips and techniques.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like them all together - its a bright jumble of color!!!