Friday, December 31, 2021

Shards Up Against the Wall


The clown blocks are all set up next to the sewing machine to be sewn in pairs. This left the design wall open for the Shards quilt. If you want to see Kaffe Fassett's Shards quilt, you can find it in "Quilts in an English Village." Also, given the quilt is available as a kit, you can easily find it with your favorite search engine. Or you can watch this Free Spirit video of Kaffe presenting the quilts from the book. The Shards quilt is presented at 30:15. 

I'm seeing that when I made blocks using favorite fabrics, I matched fabrics too closely so that they don't have enough contrast. I've already decided to make ten more blocks...and if they have more contrast maybe I can still capture the shimmering look. And given I like making these blocks so much, I could always make two quilts.

Meanwhile, Buddy is hoping that everyone's new year's resolution will be giving up fireworks.

7 comments:

gayle said...

There's certainly nothing wrong with making two quilts!
Poor Buddy. Is he hiding under the bed? Or somewhere in the stash?

Cherie Moore said...

Casper agrees with Buddy….fireworks are just plain bad. Hope you, Buddy & Molly have a wonderful new year!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is really hard to see how much contrast 2 fabrics that seem good in larger pieces will have when cut up and pieced into the block. In my 16 patch quilts I sometimes have a block or 3 that I'm not sure will work because of low contrast. Sometimes they stay in the quilt, other times they go to the orphan block box. I think you will be able to make this work with new blocks with good contrast.
My neighborhood shot of most of the fireworks before midnight so I can only hope they give it up for this new year.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Happy New Year! I too think that adding more higher contrast blocks will help make the quilt shimmer more than it already does.
Our neighbors have been calmer with the fireworks this year, probably because it was rainy most of December. The police were out with warning sirens and then the rain stopped it from going on all night. Zeus doesn't like them either.

Cathy said...

Good on you for even tackling Shards. With those tiny pieces, the right contrast is elusive. I rather like both looks (lower and higher contrast). But then I’m way out of my league on this…

Cathy said...

Wow. I'm really surprised at how these blocks look together. I kept thinking that 1. I would not be able to cut into Kaffe fabric let alone cut into little pieces. 2. In some blocks I could not tell one fabric from another in the blocks. Now I see blocks all together and love the overall shard shimmer effect. Hubby's snoring drowns out the sound of fireworks around here.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This looks amazing!