Saturday, January 1, 2022

Seeing Red


 The Rainbow Scrappy Challenge is starting the new year with red scraps. And I am starting the year without a plan. Then I made a decision to make bowties...but what size. How about 3 inches finished? But larger scale fabrics like more room to show off...so how about 4 inches finished? How about both?

Cutting 2.5 inch squares will make the 4 inch finished bowties. They also need 1.5 inch squares for the tie part. I estimate I need roughly twenty 4 inch bowties and forty 3 inch bowties. Excellent. There is not better way to start the new year than setting oneself up for failure.

I have the 40 small bowties cut and have finished seventeen. 

And if you are wondering about the microspools, they are being sewn in pairs. In quilting parlance, this is the terrible twos.

11 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

It looks like you are off to a good start for RSC22. Happy scrappy New Year!!

Cathy said...

Way to come up with a plan on the fly! Bow ties are always a good bet.

Cathy said...

I'm with you on the three inch Bow Ties. I found a little baggie of swapped bow ties last year and so rolled them into this year's RSC blocks.

Cherie Moore said...

Your wit and humor……terrible twos indeed! And certainly two sizes or bow ties are much, much better than one ;-0

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Too funny! Your bow ties look great. I seriously doubt that there will be a failure with the RSC!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a great start!!!!

scraphappy said...

For not having a plan, you seem to be off to a great start.

Julia G said...

Looks great! You are so funny :)

Jenny said...

You've made a great RSC start already. I love the bow tie licks, simple to do but oh so effective looking. In fact I made bow tie RSC girly donation quilt a year or so ago.

gayle said...

Very spiffy! (Do people still say spiffy?)
Speaking of spiffy, I bet that Buddy would totally rock a red bowtie...

Sandy Panagos said...

You're not setting yourself up for failure. You're setting yourself up for a beautiful finish! I like that layout. What fun bow ties!