Friday, January 21, 2022

Project Quilting Challenge #2 Silhouette


Here is my entry for the second challenge of Project Quilting. It is roughly 13 inches square, with quilting in dark blue thread around the cats and along the diagonal. The dark cat was cut out and moved to the light side. Let's call this "Feline Shadows." The cat silhouette was adapted from a silhouette I made from my cat Tommy for a quilting pattern.

Of course, I only quilted one of these silhouettes, realized it was crazy and moved on with my life.

My original plan for this challenge was to use cyanotype, a sun printing technique I had never tried before. There was a sunny day expected when I started, but it was cancelled. For many days. There was one day where we finally had a bit of break through sun, but even at noon the sun casts long shadows. This is a practice piece where I placed Gumby and Pokey on a piece of treated fabric. We'll call this "Better Wait Until Summer."

11 comments:

Raewyn said...

I love your silhouette cats, Sally - very clever. Maybe the sunprinting will work another time (season!)

Beth Strand said...

So fun!

Cherie Moore said...

Love your challenge project….ying and yang cats :-). Gumby faired better than Pokey but perhaps he’ll fair better in spring.

Susan said...

I like your projects.

gayle said...

Maybe come summer you can do a sunprint of Molly and Buddy!
(If you can persuade them to sit still long enough)
(Good luck with that)

doloresquilts said...

Cute!

Cathy said...

Silhouette cats and Gumby and Pokey! What a fun post!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super stretch cat quilt, Sally!! If one cat is good, aren't two cats better? :o))

JustCallMeElle said...

LOL I recognized Gumby and Pokey!

PersimonDreams said...

This is so cool and I love the cyanotype attempt! I just got supplies for that but alas - no sun in wisco either!

Nikki said...

Great attempts and entry!