Thursday, January 27, 2022

Baby Shard


 Here are the different combinations I am using to add to the Shards quilt. So let's call these Baby Shards. I am using the method of overlaying four patches and sewing around the periphery. Then I slice the package in four along the diagonal. I received a couple of comments that this means the bias is along the outside and will distort during ironing. First, thank you for thinking I cut on grain. Also, the iron doesn't get a lot of use during the construction of this block and these are small so the chance of distortion is less. At this step, however, I do have to iron the triangles open to make squares, but this only requires me to press the inner fold line that goes through the middle of the block. I do not brush the iron outward to the edge of the block. 

While digging through the layers next to the sewing machine, I found these small red bowties waiting to be sewn. Maybe if I am diligent, I can work my way to the surface of the sewing table.


5 comments:

Chantal said...

I'm a sucker for polka-dots. Lovely collection of bowties too. ;^)

gayle said...

It's been so long since I've seen the surface of my sewing table that I'm not entirely sure what color it is. Or even if it actually has a surface at all...

Cathy said...

Baby Shard do do do do do do …. Thanks for that ….. (ps. Love the bow ties)

Angie said...

Lol! I came here to say the same thing Cathy said. Thanks for the ear-worm!

KatieQ said...

Those bowties make me smile.