Sunday, January 14, 2024

Hummingbirds with Hexies


When I lived in Virginia I fed ruby-throated hummingbirds or what I would call normal hummingbirds that migrate so you don't have to feed them all year or worry about them during cold snaps. Here in Oregon, our cold snaps are few and the Anna hummingbirds are slackers that hang around all year. Plus they don't share.

These are the ruby-throated hummingbirds from Virginia. So yesterday we had weather dip into the teens. This of course freezes the sugar solution. I tried a heater attachment, stronger concentrations but settled on a strategy of just changing the feeder a lot. The male hummingbird settled on a strategy of working very hard to keep the female from feeding. Molly offered to take care of the situation for me, but I declined her offer.


Between swapping hummingbird feeders, I made more animal hexies. Each side of the hexie is one inch. And I am pulling these from my stash (that includes a lot of novelty prints). The cat in the second row from the bottom (sticking its head out of a red zero) is millennial/year 2K fabric from Nancy Crow.

Before I edited this post, I was calling the ruby-throated hummingbird "rufous" for no apparent reason until a very gentle correction in the comments.

5 comments:

Julierose said...

these are all so cute--lots of fussy cutting going on at your place...
hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

We don't get many hummingbirds at my house even in the summer. My daughter in PA does and there are fights at her feeder as they seem very territorial. They are lovely though as well as your hexies.

cbott said...

Oh yes. Hummers are complete assholes.

gayle said...

I'm sure Molly could have taught that bully some manners right quick. A lesson he'd remember for the rest of his life...

Sumac said...

Nice fussy cutting! Most of your fabrics are ones I've never seen before. There are ruby throated hummingbirds in my area. Fun to watch their behaviors.