Thursday, July 29, 2021

Burning Up


And what could I mean by the phrase "Burning Up." Maybe it refers to cutting all the spools I need to make the final dimensions of the microspools quilt, although I don't remember what they are. Or maybe I am referring to the current heat wave here in Portland (although it is fun in the shade compared to the heat dome).

So yes, burning up refers to the fun fact that our time with feed burner is up, you know, that helpful feature that notifies you when there is a new post. And I know that it Feedburner emails were supposed to end last month and bloggers discussed the various new options months ago. But I have procrastinated because that's how I know I'm alive.

I have decided to go with Mailchimp because that is what Joyful Puttering is doing and I like how it works. Also, my nickname for Molly is Monkey. This post is actually a test of the code embedded in the sidebar of this blog. If you signed up to subscribe by email using Feedburner, I will be asking you to resubmit your email address when I get this working. I recommend that you procrastinate, and not try it out quite yet because right now I have enabled all of the bot protections that make life miserable for humans.

Meanwhile, if this is an important feature for you, I would love to know how much of the posting you would like to receive in the email. Or do you just want a link to the blog?

Oh dear, I've prattled on too long about Feedburner and Mailchimp. I have sent the only living creature who listens to me to snoozeville. 

10 comments:

Barbara said...

I tried Mail Chimp too. You should know you’ll be limited to something like a thousand emails per month. Each person on your mailing list counts as one email, and so if your mail list is, say, 200 people, then each post will use 200 of your alotted emails. Mine were all used up in two days. I went with Follow.It, and I’ve been very happy with it. They were really helpful getting it all set up. Of course, Smitty handles all my correspondence, and so I got this report from him.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Those sorted pieces look grand!

gayle said...

Do that many people really only use email notifications to keep up with new posts? I'd blogged for years (and had been reading other blogs for even longer) before I'd even heard of the email thing. (One of my readers emailed to complain about my lack of email notifications, so I dutifully looked it up and checked whatever boxes had to be checked. Never heard from the woman again.)

Laurie Paurazas said...

I do tend to be lazy and just read the emails (which I love), but truly a link to the blog post is fine.😁.

Dorothy said...

I follow you through Feedly. And I love blogs ;-

Julia G said...

I get the emails and read them as emails.

The Quilting Elf said...

I get the emails and I cherish every single one of them. I want to follow the sage wisdom of Molly and The Pony (whose wisdom is often to take a nap - that suits me fine), and their solo Staff member that makes pretty quilts while I only do strictly geometric utilitarian ones. Many thanks to Staff for taking the time to change the blog feed - such a nuisance - it will be greatly appreciated by us Lurkers.

sue s said...

I would like the link to your blog, as my email doesn't always show the pictures (gmail?). Anyhoo, the little colored pieces are pretty and I imagine when your Monkey wakes up she'll be pleased you have made so many for her.

MissPat said...

As a non-blogger, I don't know all the ins and outs of administering a blog, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the possible alternatives to Feedburner. I get Barbara's post in a separate email from Follow.it, but the other blogs that moved to Follow.it all arrive in a single email. Some contain just the link (preferred) and other imbed the whole blog post (annoying because it requires lots of scrolling to get to the next blogger). You need to use the link to go to the blog if you want to comment, so I use the links. Bloglovin' doesn't send me an email, which means I have to remember to go to Bloglovin' to see who has posted and I haven't trained my feeble mind to do that yet.
Anyway, whatever you decide will be fine. I'll find a way to see your posts because I need to make sure staff is still heeding the directives of the feline supervisors.
Pat

Ann D said...

Whatever is the less hassle for you will be fine. Currently, I receive your posts as email.