Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Palette Cleanser


 I realize most people live in the real world where snow is a standard feature of winter, instead of an extreme novelty feature that is not rain. I took this picture from the front porch and angled it carefully so you would not see that the snow is not sticking to roads or walkways.

Here's a look across the street to my neighbor's carefully trimmed tree/hedges...now covered in frosting.

Meanwhile, I have been moving squares around in the spools quilt, encouraging diagonal movement and areas of light and dark. I have also decided on a square quilt of roughly 80 inches...that will mean subtracting spools from the side and adding to the bottom.

I have been working on this quilt off and on for quite a long time so I am also feeling a bit restless about what's next. And for reasons I can't explain, I also get restless and worry about some of my favorite elderly artists. Unfortunately, Mel McCuddin passed away recently...you can see a YouTube video of him painting in 2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3wz9wg0Dos

Then I nervously checked in on David Hockney and of course he has a new exhibition in London that is a room that immerses you in his artwork. Yup, a virtual experience in real life that is already sold out. Back when I was in Wash DC, I saw his stage scenery exhibit where you sit and the area in front of you shifts in color and pattern. Then when you step out, you are disappointed by all the masterpieces on the gallery walls that just sit there. Here is a clip about his new exhibit: https://www.cnn.com/videos/arts/2023/02/21/david-hockney-immersive-exhibition-lightroom-cprog-na-lon-orig.cnn

4 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, I am pretty used to seeing snow. What I don't like is sleet and freezing rain which fell yesterday on top of some wet snow. I could use some sunshine. I have certain favorite artists and you really have to see their real work, and not reproductions or on the screen to appreciate. I am sure you will be inspired to go on to the next challenge.

Susan said...

Like Linda, I am pretty used to seeing snow. And like her, I don't like is sleet and freezing rain which fell yesterday on top of 5" of wet snow. We had 5 minutes of beautiful sunshine this afternoon. However, I do love the beauty of the snow on the trees and bushes. Tomorrow's temps will still be below freezing, but Saturday we should get above freezing, maybe into the low 40's. I am sure you will find what's next. Of course, I know what Buddy and Molly would say.:-)

gayle said...

Thank you so much for the Mel McCuddin video - I watched it twice. And will probably watch it a couple more times soon.

Beth Strand said...

I'm so jealous! I'm not far from you but almost all of our neighbors got snow (my brother got 15 inches of snow) and I got a tiny dusting that disappeared yesterday! On the plus side, I'm working from home today as the roads near the office are still dicy.
Beth