Friday, May 10, 2024

Back to Hexies


 A while ago I made the mistake of figuring out how many hexies I would have to prepare to make a quilt roughly 60 inches square. Happily, I have forgotten the actual number, but realize that this will be with me for a long time.  I'm content with getting a few done every evening. Also, I continue to find novelty animal prints that don't have the hexie extraction, so I continue to cut more.


I'm also cutting the "random" fabrics for the giveaway.  I pick two fabrics from each drawer, cut them, and stack two piles. And this time I am putting the fabrics away right after I cut them. 

During one of the random pulls, I grabbed this print and decided it was too sad to be a selection. Then as I was putting it away I saw it was a fabric from the 80s and realized that this was one of two fabrics from a Burgoyne Surrounded. I was helping a friend from work make a quilt and she had very conservative tastes. The quilt was this fabric and a dark burgundy. In Catch 22 there is a character who thinks you live longer if time feels like its passing very slowly. He would have loved to make that quilt. So this is actually a funny fabric because it slows down time, but too sad for a giveaway.

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Your collection quilt of animals is growing...it will be an amazing piece...
that older Cranston fabric is really neat...hugs, Julierose

gayle said...

That "sad" print looks pretty familiar - I'm willing to bet I could unearth a scrap or two of it out of my own mess... umm... collection.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love those hexies- each one a gem!

Susan said...

I'm not sure what makes it a sad fabric, but I like it just the same. I adore your collection of animal hexies.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Loving every hexie installment. . .your novelty prints make such interesting hexies!

Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas 😻 said...

Your animal hexies are too cute, a great I Spy! Love the Cranston printworks fabric !

JustGail said...

IMHO, the "sad" fabric might be good for QOV use for those who prefer the more muted shades of red-white-blue.
Your animal hexies are so darn cute!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your hexies are adorable! I just love all of the little squirrels in this grouping. Such a pretty little print . Happy quilting.