Sunday, May 5, 2024

See More Stars


 There was a question in the comments about how I figured out yardage for the blue star quilt and whether I use EQ. I used to plan quilts meticulously when I was younger and before EQ was born. Instead I used graph paper which I still do for drawing out animal designs. 

As for figuring out yardage, I just guesstimate. I often make mistakes. Or I change course and have to add in a different fabric. And I do mix up the background fabrics a lot more now so a quilt doesn't depend on one particular fabric.


I made the red version first, but made so many of the string wedges that I had enough for a second one. The blue fabric is the blue spotted grunge that is still available today. I had bought some for a backing so I knew I would have enough.


Meanwhile, all around town, dogwood trees are showing off their blooms. This red flowering dogwood was in the backyard when I moved in.


During an ice storm in 2021, a neighbor's oak tree fell on it. It decided to become a bush instead, and this is the first year it is blooming again.



And if you were interested in the plaid quilt I showed earlier, here is the block (with a border and cornerstones). I do not know where this came from.

Also, this is the last evening for the May fabric giveaway drawing. So if you are interested in entering, go to the May 1, 2024 blog and leave a comment. If you miss the deadline, come back for the June 1 fabric giveaway.

3 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Love those string pieced stars,I've yet to make one and should make a start , I have bags of strips!

Julierose said...

Your scrappy stars in the reds and blues are just beautiful--lovely work on these!! We are in a dese fog here near the ocean -- everything looks blurry
outside..softened...
Hope your day is a good one hugs, Julierose

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your scrappy stars are beautiful! I'm impressed that you guesstimate your yardage as your projects look like they were planned to be the way they are!