Friday, November 1, 2019

Frolic Fabric


So here is where I landed for my Bonnie Hunter Frolic fabric selection. Or maybe I should say my selection of hue...the fabric selection is an ongoing process. I did go to Lowe's and pick up paint chips because I got a bit confused that Bonnie's paint card looked navy, but her fabric selection appeared purple. When I was looking at the paint display at Lowe's though, I realized that if you want to paint your room purple, Sherwin Williams is looking out for you and is offering you every color but purple.

That was a diversion, however, so I explored other clues. Based on the yardage, the blue/purple and fuchsia are the main colors with green and aqua and light blue as accents. One third of the quilt is white, one third accents, and one third the key colors. Fascinating, but another diversion.

Going to the color wheel, the choice this year isn't an obvious color harmony, but I still mimicked Bonnie's choice. As I took a turn around the color wheel I was looking for two of the key colors that I would most want to work with...which brought me to bright blue and lime green. Yes, when I was in high school my mother let me decorate my room...and true to the 60s, I picked a lime green shag rug and bright blue curtains.

Still following Bonnie's color harmony, I moved around the color wheel to the corresponding accent colors...gold/butterscotch and orange.

My other big decision was to use Kaffe fabrics as much as possible, because that will make the process a lot more enjoyable. Last year my choices were very static--almost solids--and yikes, I went down in flames.

And I know that you are seeing the major omission in my choices so far...where's the cat fabric? One year, Bonnie admitted that every mystery quilt has some cat fabric, so that is certainly one rule I always adhere to.


Unfortunately, Molly was trying to enjoy her heated bed and did not want to deal with any of my nonsense...especially taking her picture. And yes, last night as trick or treaters came to the door and rang the doorbell, she sat in her bed and took it all in. Buddy would run off and hide.


Buddy has been enjoying Molly's other bed. He runs inside, attacks the inside and then races away. 

8 comments:

Vireya said...

Thanks for your insights into the mystery quilt colours. Today a couple of friends and I were discusing it, and we all had different ideas of what those blues were. Monitor colours are unreliable; one of us thought the blue looked more purple, and one thought it looked more greeny-blue. I guess it will give each of us a unique quilt!

gayle said...

Oranges and Kaffes!! Excellent!
(Do you think Molly would mind if I joined her in that heated bed? It's a bit chilly here this morning...)

Quilter Kathy said...

That looks like lots of fun to sew!

Cathy said...

I really like your Frolic color choices. I keep forgetting to think about the new mystery when I’m down in my sewing room. Time to get the info printed off and start hunting. The Farm Girl Vintage quilt-along is starting, too, and I’m sorely tempted with that one. I think Darla will have to do some stunt sewing for me. Buddy sounds as wacky as Alfie. Big, tough males - scared of everything, haha. My teen bedroom had hardwood floors until 1972-ish, when I picked white, yellow and green shag carpeting. My walls were light yellow and my curtains were orange.

MissPat said...

Well I knew Gayle would have to add orange to her fabric selections, but I didn't expect you would too. Every time I try to change the color palette, I mess it up, but I really dislike making a quilt that will have 900 lookalikes out in the wild. Still thinking about this one.
Pat

QuiltGranma said...

is there room for mee too?

QuiltGranma said...

Love that you went with blue rather than purple. I love blue, don't love purple. Perhaps add one more in the yellow tone? Spike it up!

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely fabrics you have for the Mystery quilt, I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop.