Saturday, January 7, 2023

Project Runway: Week ONE

The first day of the first challenge for Project Quilting, I was inspired to spend extra time thinking about the concept of ONE and what it means to me. But like an ear worm, all I could think of was the phrase "One Hit Wonder." And that thought brings on the tune "My Sharona," a song by The Knack released in 1979. (At this point in time, is it still considered a hit?). 

The next association was to the "One Block Wonder" series of books published by Maxine Rosenthal where you cut six identical triangles through six layers of one fabric to make unique hexagons. Of course, that wasn't going to happen, but I knew I could make ONE wonder block. So that's what I did.

The final quilt is about the size of a frisbee. And that might become its ultimate purpose. On occasion, like every evening, my cats will groom each other until they start to fight. I can usually tell Buddy to back off and he will. Other times it escalates. So I am hoping that I can use this ONE Block Wonder as a frisbee to break up the fight and thereby have it become a ONE Hit Wonder.

(Please note that the use of the term "fight" and "hit" are exaggerations used for dramatic flourish.)


This is the original fabric, and I cut each 60 degree triangle separately.

Now please make sure to visit the linkup page on Kim Lapacek's blog to discover the one and only way to interpret the concept of ONE.


6 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I am always amazed at how the same print can look so different with the One Block Wonder piecing. May your frisbee help keep the peace! :)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love one block wonders- all the surprises from the same fabrics!

Susan said...

Sometimes I wonder if one block will do. You may need two with Buddy and Molly.

gayle said...

I'm sure it will make a dandy "distraction" for when they're having a "difference of opinion", right?

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOL!! Thanks for the full disclosure of your thought process for the challenge theme, Sally. It's always fun to see how our minds connect SEW differently to the same prompt. Oh! You do know that Buddy is completely innocent, right? :P

PersimonDreams said...

it's beautiful!