Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Diamonds Under Pressure: Project Quilting Challenge #4


The theme for this week at Project Quilting is diamonds. Although the first thing I thought of was Lou Diamond Phillips, I told my brain we are thinking about quilts, not jokes from Ted Lasso. Next, I focused on Kaffe Fasset's Simple Shapes, Spectacular Quilts. In particular, I have been lusting over Wanda at Exuberant Color's seed package quilt, and remembered Kaffe's bordered diamond quilt that I thought might have the same effect. However, right next door was the quilt Facet, that is made from strip piecing rectangles, cutting them on the diagonal and then sewing them into light/dark diamonds. The Kaffe quilt Facet uses enormous diamonds, so I scaled the project down considerably.

For this, I am using 5 by 10 paper rectangles cut from deli wrap paper. Because these rectangles are cut on the diagonal, I make sure to have larger strips on the ends so that I don't have seams embedded in the points. Let's not make a challenge challenging is my new motto.

That said, now that I have four light triangles, I am thinking I need four more. So I am heading back to cut more deli wrap rectangles and sew more foundation paper rectangles. 

6 comments:

gayle said...

Oh, I love this already!

Julierose said...

Oh this is gorgeous--the light/dark makes them sparkle...I just love that "Seed Packet" quilt of Wanda's too..
Nice work on this--just those strips could be a great piece too...you always manage to put my brain into overdrive ;))) hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love your diamonds. I made that quilt too back in December 2014 and yes those diamonds were enormous. They are pretty cute in the mini size.
That is one of Kaffe's best books and I have made several of the quilts in it.
I'm loving my Seed Packet quit too.

Cathy said...

Yum! This is looking great already!

Julia G said...

Love this - it's so rich! The diamonds just glow.

MissPat said...

Reading the posts backward, thanks for explaining how you made the diamonds. I think I've borrowed that Kaffe book from the library and admired the diamond quilt, but always talked myself out of trying it.
Pat