Saturday, September 23, 2023

Not So Charming

As you may remember, or not, the spool quilt is a charm quilt with each spool made from a different fabric. I took great care in screening out duplicates along the way...but still managed to find a couple as I was sewing it together. Molly insists that she has found a duplicate, but she refuses to tell me where it is so I can replace it. Molly might tell me after I quilt it.

Meanwhile, Molly recommends Barbara Brackman's blog post about charm quilts where she notes that charm quilts were common (and considered a bit tiring) in the 1870's and a newspaper article summed up Molly's view (of which this is a small part)... "Miss Jane Craigshead has wasted years of the period of life most desirable and valuable in a most ridiculous manner..."

And speaking of tiring...I noticed that Follow It has advertising in the link they send out to notify about a new blog post. Sorry about that. At one point I was paying extra to provide a link without advertising, but during my time out, they must have removed that option. If someone has a different solution (or knows how to exclude the advertising), I would like to know.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy to have the whole group back - Molly, Buddy and Staff. You were
all missed. Yes time wasting hand stitching small blocks is done here too. I consider it my life so do what I want to, after feeding the kitties, himself, the housework - cannot affford a char lady to come in. Sitting down with those itty blocks to sew on (a small sip of Guinness goes well with the sewing) makes
my day. Welcome back!!

MissPat said...

Don't have a solution to ad block your Follow It posts. I use Feedly now. Only one ad link appears and is easily passed by. I don't get email alerts, but I've successfuly trained myself to go to Feedly every day and catch up with everyone who has posted. Seems you can tach an old dog new tricks. (Sorry Molly for the canine reference).
Pat

gayle said...

Well, you know, charming enough...

Cindy B said...

I pay the ads no mind......just scroll right thru them!