Friday, May 10, 2019

Many Directions

Yes, more microspools. I am making a shift toward making more spools that have less value contrast. I am planning on having the upright spools be dark and the tipped over spools be lighter. I think the red spool in the fourth row, far left will be my model for the lighter value spools.

And poor sweet Molly has moved to the top of the shelving unit in the sewing room because it is now warm enough without her heated bed. Also, her pony is turning into an attention hog...and Molly doesn't think that is fair given what a short attention span her staff has.

Buddy comes up to me and calls me his Pony Pedestal because he likes to be held up my shoulder. He also likes Pony Playtime. He calls Molly his Pony Plunder.

And yes, I think the Puffin is straight forward enough for a tutorial. There are some tricky bits where seams have to match though. Usually I like to keep modifying the design until those parts of eliminated.

And this is how I work. I scribble around on graph paper until I get shapes that I like. I like this eye because it conveys a puffin eye without being hard to pieces. And I also like how the black flips from the head to the beak.

After I get the general cartoon settled, I break it down into sections for piecing. I make a lot of changes to the cartoon at this stage.

I should also mention that back in 2011, I was part of a 52 week challenge where I made a small fused quilt each week. I was learning Illustrator and I spent a lot of time refining and abstracting the cartoon for the pattern. Now when I design a pieced block, I used these fused pieces as my spring board because I have already abstracted the key characteristics.


6 comments:

julieQ said...

I love your puffin! Also your pumpkin kittie! I made a quilt all out of tiny spools from all over the world years ago, and it is a favorite of mine...and I love yours!

Cathy said...

I love that pensive picture of Molly! The spools are always cute, but there is no red spool in the fourth row. Did you mean the fifth row? All your puffins are adorable. I’m thinking I need to do a birds quilt for the RSC next year...

PaulaB quilts said...

Your puffin will be a very fine pieced block. What will Molly and Buddy think about having birds in the house ?

MissPat said...

I think the red spool with the low contrast is on the left in row 4 (at least as the image appears on my screen). Thanks for showing how you sketch out a design while creating a tutorial.
Pat

Mystic Quilter said...

Love these puffins Sally! Ive missed heaps of posts from everyone over the past three weeks, still in recovery mode.

QuiltGranma said...

puffin cuteness, along with Molly cuteness! = wonderful post!