Sunday, December 3, 2023

Other People's Stashes


 Let's start with my plan to show six more green log cabin blocks and how I haven't finished them yet. Molly suggested I show the area around the sewing machine and I declined because I didn't want anyone calling disaster relief agencies on my behalf.

However, I did pass by this photo which perfectly explains my "slight" obsession with quilters' estate sales. This was a bin of scraps I bought two years ago and sorting through it was so much fun. This is where quilters dump their experimental projects and strip misfires. So you get to see the fabric the quilter was using. And this is where I learned that I am not so much a quilter as one who likes to stroke fabric.


A few years before that I bought this scrap bin. So that shows the strength of the addiction...as long as I can find an estate sale every two years or so, I'm hooked on reading the listings each week. (And in both cases, these were downsizing sales).

2 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I think a love of fabrics- the color, texture, shape, and values are what feeds a quilter. At least this one. I like it all- yardage, fat quarters, strips and scraps. I guess I need to read where the estate sales are in my area. I used to buy yarn and knit for the same reason except I found that I am the world's slowest, least able, knitter. I gave it all away and concentrate on petting, I mean using, fabric.

gayle said...

I've heard it said that quilting and collecting fabric are two entirely different hobbies. Can't argue...
(It's good to have lots of hobbies, right?)